Reaching out for help

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Casual scribe

Reaching out for help

On tuesday night my 17 year old reached out for help. Coming for a young person who internalises everything this is a major step and im so proud of her. She has been admtted to hospital for mental health reasons and is getting the help she needs 

How do i get past my own feeling of guilt. I know i have done my best but i keep thing what if. She is doing so well that she is allowed day release for 4 hours. i am so strong on the inside when around her and i break down when i take her back to hospital and leave her there. we haev spoken on the phoe this morning and she sounds so sad. she has had a tough life. i know she can do this but how do i help me

Contributor

Re: Reaching out for help

@Workinghardmum go and get a bag of Lindt chocolate right now! You are THE BEST. I'm not a doctor but I diagnose that's not guilt you're feeling -- no place for guilt here -- that feeling is RELIEF!! You made it girlfriend and you got your beloved daughter into a mental health program. You are AWESOME. Look at all the positives in your post - let's concentrate on those for a minute:

• my 17 year old reached out for help
  • this is a major step and im so proud of her
  • She has been admtted ... and is getting the help she needs
  • She is doing so well
  • she is allowed day release for 4 hours
  • i am so strong on the inside
  • i know she can do this

See? Now to begin with, can you take a hot bath and get some sleep? Do you have other children and if so could they have a sleepover at a friend/relative to give you some me-time?  Here is a great thread on how other parents take care of themselves.

Community Manager

@Workinghardmum sounds likes you're doing all the right things at the moment and as @Mitzi said you deserve a pat on the back!

This process can be hard on everyone and there is no easy solution to feeling better but have a look at the thread mitzi suggested and hold your head high, you're helping your child and supporting them. You too will get through this

Highlighted
Contributor

Hey @Workinghardmum - how have things been?