Need help now?

School refusal and the depression

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
BeStrong

My 16 years old daughter is year 11 and she has been showed self harm as a stress management since year 7.
But I didn’t know that until this Jan. I should have concentrated on my younger daughter, year 7.
My younger one had diagnosed the optic brain tumour in 2009. She had benign, but the position was tricky to get rid of all, so we should check her very long time, and she had 2 chemos and surgery during her life.
During those time, my eleder one didn’t have anyone to support and I couldn’t afford it.
But now I realized I should have given some time with her.
She was ok, but her mental is going down. Once I knew she had self harms and didn’t want to go to school, she started to see a GP and psychologist. And taking anti depression medicine.
It is 6 weeks, now. But it is not getting better, or worse I think.
And once she went to school, she couldn’t stay at school and very stressed, so did self harm again.
But I don’t know the trigger for self harm only school.
This Monday, she impulsively took Claritin 15 pills and I took her emergency. Thankfully, she told me she did.
I let this know to school and sent a week break that emergency dept filled the medical certificate.
Now, I don’t say anything for school, study, future.. she looks ok.
In case of this, is it better for her to stop going to school and get more treatments? Or push her to go?