Need help now?

Supporting gay teen

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Casual scribe
Dadtryingtohelp
Solved!

Supporting gay teen

My 15 year old son has recently come out and is finding it incredibly isolating. As a family we support him but he is finding it very difficult to find others like home and feels that he is the only same sex attracted guy in the world. Can anyone suggest a safe space were he might meet other young gay men.

Accepted Solutions
Casual scribe
Dadtryingtohelp
Solution

Re: Supporting gay teen

Thank you Janine

I have looked at the Minus 18 group and he is booked to attend the Midsumma youth event soon. I really appreciate the list of resources you have provide to work through- it's great to be moving forwards. Long way to go but perhaps some light at the end of the tunnel.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Star contributor
Janine-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Dadtryingtohelp , 

Thanks so much for your post, you're clearly a really loving and supportive Dad, and it's wonderful to hear that you want to support your son in finding his tribe. 

Twenty10 is a fantastic organisation who do a lot of work in supporting LGBTQIA  people - they have a range of different social groups for young gay teens, and are really safe, welcoming and inclusive spaces. 

Minus18 are another great organisation who offer a range of events (though it does look like their in-person events are just getting started up again post covid)

It sounds like your son is feeling quite isolated not knowing any other gay teens - sometimes it can help a lot to chat to other people who've been through the same thing. QLife are a peer support service for LGBTQIA people, it's a free service and all of the volunteers are really passionate about helping people like your son who may be feeling isolated and wanting to know more about the community. They also have this database of different organisations across Australia which may be helpful- some of those also do social meetups and different support groups. 

The last thing I wanted to mention is our ReachOut Youth forums - we have a lot of LGBTQIA young people in the community, and it's a really safe, welcoming and accepting space that can help a lot in breaking down those feelings of isolation. If he's interested in checking that out, we actually had a live Ask Me Almost Anything  discussion last night around LGBTQIA issues- as a parent myself, I also found it amazing to read through and hear what young people in the community are going through. You don't need to log in to read the posts, so you/ your son are very welcome to have a read through the posts here if you'd be interested. 

Wishing you and your son all the very best, please feel free to keep us posted on how you're both travelling

Casual scribe
Dadtryingtohelp
Solution

Thank you Janine

I have looked at the Minus 18 group and he is booked to attend the Midsumma youth event soon. I really appreciate the list of resources you have provide to work through- it's great to be moving forwards. Long way to go but perhaps some light at the end of the tunnel.