Need help now?

Teen daughter deployment

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
exceiver76

Teen daughter deployment

I recently returned from a six month deployment and I hardly recognize my 16 year old daughter. She dresses very provocatively, an often walks around the house topless. With her mothers permission, without my knowledge, she got a tongue stud and a lower back tattoo.  Her mother put her on birth control as she is now sexually active with multiple partners. I found this out by accident. Last Saturday I woke up early to the sound of a car pulling up our gravel driveway and stopping fast. I got out of bed in time to see my daughter dressed in cut off shorts a bikini top and nothing else, not even thongs, her phone in her back pocket, run out the front door. She got in a car with one other girl and several boys and took off. I asked her if she was using condoms and she said no because her boyfriends do not like the way they feel and none of the other girls use them either. Its like the girl I knew is completely gone. My wife is completely unconcerned and thinks I am worrying for nothing, that this is all part of growing up. I just can't make myself believe it. What should I do? What can I do to talk some sense into my daughter before she gets hurt bad?

Contributor
Hannah-RO

Re: Teen daughter deployment

Hey @exceiver76 

This sounds like it must all have come as such a shock to you, I'm sorry this is such a tough situation, thanks for sharing it with us.

I understand you're feeling really concerned about her wellbeing and that you've tried chatting to her about some of these things. I'm wondering if you've been able to spend some nice quality time with her doing something you both enjoy since you've been back? Sometimes connecting over an activity together can help to open up the conversation, is this something that could be helpful?

It's clear you really care so much about your daughter and want the best for her. Its hard when someone seems to change completely and so quickly, is there anyone else in your life you've been able to chat to about your concerns? I hope some other parents are able to offer their support and advice as well Heart