Teenage son and underage sex

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
OutNumbered1-3
Solved!

This may be long, apologies in advance.
My 15 year old son has recently come out as bisexual. Middle of last year he started hanging out with a new group of friends that don't go to his school, he started changing the way he dresses and was with kids we didn't know (except one of them, a girl who used to come to our house) anyway, he told us that this girl was bi, then a few others in this group were too which then made us wonder what they were all getting up hanging round the park so we tried to reign him in a bit which was all helped with the lockdown situation, fast forward to the middle of Jan and we agreed to let him out to meet up with one person for a walk, this person, was born a female but doesn't identify as a specific gender and wants to be referred to something different than their given name, he told us this when he announced he was bi. He said he was interested in a relationship with this person. He spends all his time talking to them online, on the phone and even falling asleep together on facetime. We are so grateful that he can come to us and open up but now he's started searching for condoms on the Internet. This concerns us for a number of reasons, they're not actually together, they are currently meeting up to walk round a park because we are in lockdown and not visiting houses so a park is not a safe environment, I think they're both confused about who they are, they're both under age.
Does anyone have any advice on how we can approach this?

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Bre-RO
Solution

Re: Teenage son and underage sex

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @OutNumbered1-3 thank you reaching out to us about your son. Firstly, I wanted to agree with you that it's really positive that your son feels comfortable to open up about the changes he is going through. I can imagine that it is a huge transition for you as well to see your son develop feelings for someone and it is really understandable that you are concerned about the two of them taking things to the next level given they aren't able to do so in a safe environment. It is a good thing that your son is aware of safe sex practices such as using a condom, however it sounds like an open conversation about these next steps might be a good thing too. 

We have some articles for parents on how to be sex positive and informed as well as how to talk with your teenager about sex.

They might help to give you some advice on how to approach a conversation with your son. There also might be some other parents who have some tips for you, after all this is something all parents go through at some stage. 

Please feel free to continue sharing your concerns about this and we will do what we can to support you. I've also attached this article on helping your teen with coming out, it might be helpful to read as well. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor
Bre-RO
Solution

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey there @OutNumbered1-3 thank you reaching out to us about your son. Firstly, I wanted to agree with you that it's really positive that your son feels comfortable to open up about the changes he is going through. I can imagine that it is a huge transition for you as well to see your son develop feelings for someone and it is really understandable that you are concerned about the two of them taking things to the next level given they aren't able to do so in a safe environment. It is a good thing that your son is aware of safe sex practices such as using a condom, however it sounds like an open conversation about these next steps might be a good thing too. 

We have some articles for parents on how to be sex positive and informed as well as how to talk with your teenager about sex.

They might help to give you some advice on how to approach a conversation with your son. There also might be some other parents who have some tips for you, after all this is something all parents go through at some stage. 

Please feel free to continue sharing your concerns about this and we will do what we can to support you. I've also attached this article on helping your teen with coming out, it might be helpful to read as well. 

Casual scribe
OutNumbered1-3

Thanks so much 🙏