Need help now?

Thinking of putting son in care for a little while

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Hi there well my son has been really badly behaved lately as he seems to be getting in with the wrong sort of people as he’s got older and I can’t handle all these issues myself with working a lot aswell. So I think that I am going to try and get him out into care atleast for a little while because I believe that’s where he can get the help he needs. What are your thoughts? Thx xx
Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

Re: Thinking of putting son in care for a little while

Hi @Kerry36

I know its such a scary decision to put your son into care.  I know I felt that way with my daughter not knowing if it would cause more harm or be helpful.  For us it was both.  The real help she has been receiving is from counselor and group therapy and medication. All our kids are so different and you don't know what's going to really help them- but I know taking that first step is the hardest and scariest.  As parents we need to just do whatever it takes to get our kids healthy and safe.

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Thankyou hun for your opinion and advice but I really do think that care would be the right thing maybe for a little while or some kind of respite place maybe thx xx
Contributor
Sister

Hi @Kerry36,

You need to do what's best for yours and your sons own situation.

My son is in residential care and schooling during the week and home weekends. Although I wish his behaviours were otherwise and he could be at home with me to live a "normal" life, this is currently not possible. When the situation becomes unmanageable and you are on your own (or without a supportive partner), then respite becomes gratefully embraced. This has been my experience.

The negatives about residential care however are that your teenager can pick up on the behaviours of others which can create a new set of problems. However, if the staff are good, they can work with the family and teenager around this.

Like yourself, I was at a stage where my sons behaviours were out of control. Safety for him was paramount and although far from perfect, I am grateful for the care and support now received. 

Remember......it doesn't need to be permanent and you need to do what's best for yourself and your son. If you have tried all other avenues without success (as I had done), I would say to any parent in a similar situation, to accept the help of a residential place. Sad, but necessary.

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Thankyou Hun xx