Need help now?

Violent outbursts from my son

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Mummabearoffour

Violent outbursts from my son

Hi.
I am at my end here. For a few years now my son has had outbursts physical and verbal. And in the last year it's gotten really bad. His grades have dropped completely and his care for anything but gaming has gone. I can't handle it anymore I don't know what to do. When it happens I take away his phone, computer, skate bored anything I can think of. And it makes it so much worse. I keep the things for a few days until he has stopped. These outbursts can last up to a week. This week I actually throw away his skate bored and taken his phone. His violent to his younger sister and calls me names and what not. Lucky he keeps the younger get two out of it but they still here the screaming and hitting of walls. I've tried to get him help. But he screams, cry's and physically won't go or talk on the phone to anyone.
Help what do I do?
Contributor
Sophia-RO

Re: Violent outbursts from my son

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Mummabearoffour , thanks for sharing your story. I am sorry to hear about the recent troubles you have been having with your son. It sounds like you have been trying various things to stop your son's behaviour, but that you have not had too much luck yet. I am sorry to hear that your son has been having verbal and physical outbursts. It might be a good idea to speak with someone from your son's school (such as the school counsellor) to let them know about the issues that you have been having with your son and his schooling. They may be able to arrange someone to talk with your son (if that is what he and yourself would like) to get a better understanding of what is making him have these outbursts. 

You might also find it helpful to call and speak to a trained counsellor about what has been happening with your son. One helpline that you can call to get some advice and support from is Parentline. We also offer a one-on-one support service that you can access to speak to a trained counsellor for some advice and support. Here is a link for some further information if you are interested. I hope that things will get better soon for you and your family, feel free to let us know how you're getting on Smiley Happy .

Casual scribe
Mummabearoffour

Thanks for the reply. We have talked to the school and we have a teacher that talks to him. But because the outbursts only happen at home they don't see a problem. Only his grades which isn't enough to get help. Out of the house he is a perfect child. It's inside the house with us that the problem is. I've tried to get him to see someone but he won't.
Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

That is very tricky, it might also be worth calling 1800 Respect, as well as the contacts @Sophia-RO mentioned. This is a hotline where you can discuss a multitude of things with professionals who are experts in abusive and violent behaviours. 

Active scribe
Sil77

Sorry to hear this. It sounds exactly like my son. I will read all the advices on here