Need help now?

Worried about my teenage son and a recent break up

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Thejen122

Hi. I am new here and thought I could maybe get some advice.

My son who will be 16 in February has recently broken up with he’s girlfriend of one year. They’re in the same school and class which is going to make it that much harder for him Smiley Sad he has he’s GCSEs coming up in may and I really am worried this will affect them too. He has been feeling quite down the past few weeks too and I’m not sure if it’s all related. Any advice would be grateful as I’m making my self I’ll with worry Smiley Sad
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Worried about my teenage son and a recent break up

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Thejen122

Thank you for sharing. We are sorry to hear that your son is going through a hard time with his breakup. It is normal to be worried as a parent, especially with GSCEs on the horizon. As you know, breakups can get easier with time but until then, they can be quite distressing and difficult to manage. It can have a significant impact on several areas of life which is to be expected after such a big change. It is important to keep an eye on his behaviour and if things appear to get worse or do not get better over time then it is important to seek help from a doctor or mental health professional. Have you been able to talk to your son about the breakup and the impact that it is having on him? What is he doing to keep himself busy during this time?

We noticed you are outside Australia which is totally ok but please note that our referrals and resources may not be that relevant for you. We have an article here on how parents can support their teenager through a breakup. We also have an article here that is for teenager's coping with a breakup that you could pass along to your son.