Need help now?

daughter hostialized twice for suicidal intentions- im grieving

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

daughter hostialized twice for suicidal intentions- im grieving

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: daughter hostialized twice for suicidal intentions- im grieving

@CasaPacifica Thank you for the reminder that immediate help is essential if someone is at risk of suicide. I added the Australian lifeline  number, as the one you've put is the US, and this forum is an Australian based service. 

I have also removed your link to an external article as we ask that these be approved by RO before you post. 

gina-Ro

Thinking of you @sunflowermom, must be a really difficult time for you and the family, but agree with @taokat, that I hope this time can be one of rest and recovery for your daughter as she gets the support she needs, and one of respite and relief for you as well as you know she is safe, and being cared for. 

Extra support for you and the whole family is essential - in what ways can you ensure that you get this? 

Casual scribe
CasaPacifica

Thanks for correcting the number @gina-Ro! Would you mind approving the article? I feel like it could help someone.

Super star contributor
taokat

Hi there @CasaPacifica, welcome to the forum!

Being an Australian based service we use Australian resources for our parents on ReachOut. While we don’t promote members websites we welcome you as a parent to contribute to the conversations and share your personal experiences raising teens. 

sunflowermom

Hello 

Just putting an update.  So after hospital last week she was off to a short term residential place even further away.  After a short visit and dropping her there I had a huge panic attack myself.  I checked on her through the nurse couple hours later ( I stayed in a hotel nearby for the night)  long story short I picked her up that night at 10.  It was not the right place for her- she said she would rather be in any hospital.  She was scared out of her mind.  And my gut told me it wasn't right from the beginning.

SO we are back to square one.  She is home with us and we are looking for a residential that is a small home setting, teen girls/woman only where people have similar issues.  I am sure insurance wont pay for it and we dont know how we will get the money but we must try.

Her last Dr at the hospital she stayed at during 5150 mentioned Bipolar and possible ADHD.  That would be a new diagnosis to explore for us. I wonder is it will be different medication- at this point none of her meds have helped at all really. 

Feels like tough times on a hamster wheel.  The good news is I feel more support and communication with my husband.  This offers me so much relief.

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @sunflowermom,

Thank you so much for checking in with us and letting us know how both you and your daughter are travelling after the hospital experience. I'm very sorry to hear how scared your daughter was feeling at the residential home- it was a good thing you were nearby to be able to support her. It sounds like your gut instincts about that experience were right and I can hear from your post that the experience was really difficult for both of you Heart 

You mentioned that your daughter has been given two new diagnoses during the hospital visit. When I speak to families and young people about their experiences of getting a new diagnosis, sometimes there can be a sense of relief or a "light bulb" moment that can bring some clarity around what the next steps for recovery can be and gives new options for support,  and sometimes it can be a really tough experience to come to terms with. I'm wondering how you are feeling about the new diagnoses?

Your last sentence here: "The good news is I feel more support and communication with my husband.  This offers me so much relief." really made me smile because I can hear that resilience that even in the most difficult times, you have the incredible self awareness and courage to look towards wins that will support both your daughter's recovery and your recovery journey as a family Heart 

Check out our community activities calendar here
Super star contributor
taokat

I’m so sorry this place wasn’t suitable for your daughter @sunflowermom, but hopefully you’ll find somewhere that will be. Either with young people or just females sounds much better. 

It’s great you’re feeling more supported by your husband as well, that must make such a difference for you emotionally. 

I hope your daughter can get the help she needs soon. Take care Heart

Highlighted
sunflowermom

Thank you so much @taokat and @Jess1-RO !  Your kind words and support are helping me immensely.  hugs

Super star contributor
taokat

Thinking of you @sunflowermom Heart

sunflowermom

Thank you so much Taokat!
She has been excepted into a 3 month residential treatment that focus on girls with sexual trauma. It's a miracle but our insurance is paying for it. We are in a last family trip now. She leaves Monday. So many mixed emotions right now, but hope is strong. I will keep u posted.💜💜💜
How r u?