Need help now?

my 16yr old son has failed yr11 and desperately wants to repeat would you let him?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

my 16yr old son has failed yr11 and desperately wants to repeat would you let him?

Frequent scribe
Aussiemom

Re: my 16yr old son has failed yr11 and desperately wants to repeat would you let him?

Thank you Mitzi I really hope we have turned a corner but only time will tell. Thank you for all the comments and encouragement it's been amazing.

Contributor
Mitzi

Re: my 16yr old son has failed yr11 and desperately wants to repeat would you let him?

Come back any time @Aussiemom - even it it's just to "vent" :-)

Contributor
readthemanual

Congratulations! That's a good start! Reward your son and celebrate with the whole family!
He will need a lot of support and I trust you can help him survive year 12 and head on to where he wants to go!

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Frequent scribe
Aussiemom

Thank you readthemanuel I am so happy he gets to start yr 12 and so far this week is going really well been going to school everyday with no problems even tho he is sick with tonsillitis and he is staying out of trouble. I know it's only been 3 days but past experiences that is a huge effort on his part and I tell him that everyday when he comes home how proud I am that he has put the effort in. 

Thank you for all the encouragement 

Super frequent scribe
ElleBelle

Message contains a hyperlink

Glad to hear things are looking up @Aussiemom! I hope his tonsilitis clears up soon, not being able to eat must be a teenage boys worst nightmare Smiley Very Happy

We'd love for you to join us over on the Parents Chill Out board if you're keen for a chat.

Frequent scribe
Aussiemom

Hi everyone,

its been awhile since I've posted so thought I would update on how my boy is.... well he started term 4 really well behaving in class and doing as he was told, he was on a monitoring card getting 1 and 2 ( execellent behaviour) until the day that he was suspended for 15 days for which I might  add was pathetic.  The story is that my son needed to go to the toilet ( no 2's) but he won't use the school ones as they are disgusting so as he had a free period he went across the road to the service station and used there bathroom but because he left with 3 other boys ( they left during class got into a car and drove into town for maccas) my son came straight back and went to his next class he got suspended and the other boys got 4 days. Needless to sa y the school have started the process to expel him. After an 1hr long meeting with the principal we agreed that instead for expelling him he will be finishing yr12 by distance education at home part time and at the centre the rest of the week. Not ideal for me as I  Have 2  other kids in high school but really the only option as he is really serious about finishing yr12 and I truely believe that he would have made it if the deputy had taken into account his resent good behaviour. So he has been home from school since week 4 of this term.  Anyway that's where we are now fingers crossed we can do this. X

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hey @Aussiemom

Thanks so much for the update! So sorry to hear about his suspension. What a kick in the teeth. And just when your son was doing so well.

I'm confused about why the Principal agreed to not expelling him and yet he has to finish via distance education. It sounds like the outcome is essentially the same thing. Or am I missing something?

How's your son coping with all this?

Frequent scribe
Aussiemom

Hi Ngaio-RO,

the school was wanting to expel my son from school but as he wasn't 17 yet they needed to find somewhere for him to finish school so the principle mentioned about distance education so he can complete yr 12. She wasn't sure if he needed to be expelled from school to be excepted into the course or if the school could recommend him without the expulsion. Lucky they would accept him with being expelled so it stays off his school record. My son is happy to do distance education as he really wants to finish high school and join the police force. His behaviour has been so good and respectful at home and to his sister which is a great step forward from what we were dealing with. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hi @Aussiemom

Thanks so much for the update. It's wonderful to hear that he's doing so well. It sounds like he might be feeling happy. Is that how it feels to you?

How is he and the family managing his distance education? I know you had some concerns. Did it turn out better than you thought or is it difficult?