Need help now?

safe schools coalition: parents, have you heard about this? are your children's school part of it?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

safe schools coalition: parents, have you heard about this? are your children's school part of it?

Contributor
readthemanual

what is your opinion? Your child(ren)'s?

I recently came across some heated discussion on this issue and it seems to be a huge problem with some parents while my daughter and her school mates are for the program. I would like to hear your opinions.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Mitzi

Re: safe schools coalition: parents, have you heard about this? are your children's school part of i

Message contains a hyperlink

I wasn't familiar with Safe Schools Coalition so I Googled it and found:

Safe Schools Coalition Australia is a national network of organisations working with schools to create safer and more inclusive environments for same sex attracted, intersex and gender diverse students, staff and families.

I then went to my son's school website to see if I could find any reference to it, but nothing came up.

I'm in favour of the initiative and would support it if it was introduced at my son's school. Isn't it a good thing to hear about a program to support and protect members of our schools community who have always been marginalised and have often been bullied, afraid, and excluded? 

I think it's great your daughter and her friends support it. I'm going to email our school and see what their plans are.  Thanks for mentioning it @readthemanual.

Contributor
readthemanual

Re: safe schools coalition: parents, have you heard about this? are your children's school part of i

but, people are concerned about to what extent the programs goes and many parents were concerned as the program is in primary schools as well, especially in Victoria. What do you think?

@Mitzi

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Here's the press release ReachOut put out about the Safe Schools project back in February: ReachOut supports Safe Schools Coalition to stop bullying and help young people feel safer at school

Contributor
readthemanual

Thanks!

@Sophie-RO