Need help now?

Bush/Adventure Therapy listings

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Bush/Adventure Therapy listings

Super frequent scribe
Designed

Re: Bush/Adventure Therapy listings

Yeah...@Orbit64, Maybe the friends place sounds better 😉 Seriously though, my son has done so much better since being out of our house and glamping. Had himself a nice bonfire tonight, and is waving at me through the window, offered to help with carrying groceries from the car, SMILING, yes, smiling....no it wasn't smoke in his eyes. Did want that shower. And a real loo. But was not cranky. We have a few acres, so easier for us. Buy a bush block??? 😆 But he really would like you to rough it with him. Now I'll shut up about it and leave you in pieces, I mean peace.

Prolific scribe
Orbit64

I like your little pun there. I'll have to pick a couple of camp sites within an hour of Perth and see if he will come. 

Super frequent scribe
Designed

Cities can be amazing places, but unfortunately not so good for a lot of kids...too many easy temptations with easy access. I hope he wants to Smiley Happy Our son alternates on who is the good parent and who is the bad...seems cyclic with a monthly rotation. But my hubby is 8/10 the one he wants most to have quality one-on-one time with...walks in the country @ 9pm, drives up to the lighthouse, camping, motorbike riding, even long drives to collect stuff in the ute....and of course xbox, movies etc. All this totally lines up with what professionals say about boys at this age NEEDING to be verified by their dad as a man. That they want them to want to hang out with them. To have the natural conversations while they are having recreational companionship. That their dad cares about them, loves them. And I wonder if this is why Adventure/bush therapy works while they are there (getting their emotional needs met, but getting to be men chopping wood & whaterever), but can occassionally fail when they return because they don't have it in their environment? Don't know. Oops, sorry. Soapboxed again. 6am syndrome. Or maybe woman disease.
Prolific scribe
Orbit64

Designed, please don't apologise for "Soapboxing".  It's not that at all. We are all here to share, get another perspective and ideas to help us. So thanks for taking the time to put forward some ideas to help. Sometimes when we are in the middle of the swamp fighting off the crocs, we have forgotten we are there to drain it. Having another's perspective on things is a great help. 

Your short paragraph rang very true for me and took me back to that age and the rare times I had with my dad to have a real conversation. Creating those moments where that can occur is important. 

I have been a keen sailboarder in my younger days. I started introducing both my children to it over the last three summers. My son had a little more interest in it. We have slowly built up a set of second hand gear that works well for him. I was taking him down regularly and watching last summer. Early on I would jump on a board and sail beside him to provide reassurance. The **bleep** of it all is I currently have a wrist injury that precludes me doing lots of things like that. Anything that requires significant pressure on my wrist. Riding a bike, sailing, the list goes on and on. I'm being careful to get it back to a functional state for this very reason. I'd love to take him riding on a mountain bike trail etc, just need the wrist to heal properly. 

For our son, who is the evil one, varies between my wife and myself. There is no real pattern, other than probably who he is managing to get under the skin of the most. We have always had the expression with him, seeking good attention vs seeking bad attention. He has always been an attention seeker and we have spent years explaining to him how we enjoy his company when he is spending time with us and participating. Rather than doing things to annoy us. It is a good time to work on that aspect of his company and participation. 

Super frequent scribe
Designed

That's really beautiful.
Super frequent scribe
Designed

"the evil one"? I prefer The Incredible Hulk. 😂 Hope your wrist heals in...7 days 😕
Prolific scribe
Orbit64

So some reason I cannot edit my last post. The first sentence does not read as I intended. I meant it to read as though who he thought was worthy of his wrath. My wife or me. 

Edited: For our son, who he believes is the the worst of his parents on any given day, varies between my wife and myself. There is no real pattern, other than probably who he is managing to get under the skin of the most. We have always had the expression with him, seeking good attention vs seeking bad attention. He has always been an attention seeker and we have spent years explaining to him how we enjoy his company when he is spending time with us and participating. Rather than doing things to annoy us. It is a good time to work on that aspect of his company and participation.

Active scribe
Jammy

Orbit 64,
Can you please give us an update down the track to say how the camp was, and what happened post-camp?
How much did the 2 week camp cost, if you don't mind me asking? Is it in the Northern Territory?
Super frequent scribe
Designed

Oh good. He's NOT the evil one. I'm still sticking with the hulk though. @Jammy, I believe it is South Australian "True North Expeditions". We are hanging out to see how he went also. Does that make them the guinea pig? 😉
Prolific scribe
Orbit64

Jammy,

Two week wilderness therapy. Just search for True North Expeditions, SA. 

Great lead up support, good materials and feedback so far. 

Will said that their success rate is no different between children that are willing to go or unwilling to go. The trick is just to get them there. 

My wife and I had to send a letter (via email) on day three of the trip. It was based on a structure provided by Will. 

We got the reply letter from our son just now. 

Assuming he sticks by what he says, it is very encouraging. 

This is the comment (edited) by Will preceeding the letter 

"Things are going well for "Son". We have a very fun group which has led to a lot of laughter and inside jokes. That said, we have seen good improvements in Son's attitude since the start of the trip. He was definitely frustrated at the start but has been warming to the idea of change. One thing we have connected with Son on is the idea that we need to be motivated to change for ourselves. This has been a big step for him in detailing the changes he'd like to make at home. "

He gets home on Sunday. I'll post my thoughts as things progress after that.