Need help now?

Grandson and Dad

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
Spatty

Grandson and Dad

My daughter-in-law has requested me to go to a parent meeting in place of my son. My GSON doesn't like his dad and shows it frequenrly. My son is the diciplinary parent. They hardly look at each other. My son feels very hurt his son doesn't like him...So he avoids getting into confrontations because most times they become elavated Should I go in his place or insist my son go?
Prolific scribe
Erin-RO

Re: Grandson and Dad

That sounds like a difficult situation to be in @Spatty. How does your son feel about you attending in his place?

I wonder if to help build the relationship between your son and grandson, it might be a good idea for both yourself and your son to attend the meeting? That way you may be able to help guide the meeting and act as a mediator of sorts?

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: Grandson and Dad

Hi @Spatty, it sounds like a very upsetting situation for everyone involved. Do you live with the family? Being the sole disciplinarian does place added stress on the relationship. My thoughts are that it would be best for your son to go for the same reasons @Erin-RO mentioned. Your son could learn different ways of communicating with his son which could really help them in moving forward. As tough as these situations are we can gain so much from facing them head on and the benefits for our kids can be amazing. 

Let us know how you get on.