How to help my Child in Study

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
Sapna1
Solved!

How much should the children study and at what age should they be becoming serious about studies is a frequent question?

Accepted Solutions
Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8
Solution

Re: How to help my Child in Study

Hi Sapna

Homework sucks. It’s been a long day, there are extra curricular activities, separated families and everything else. There are many different thoughts on home work. 

Queensland state schools emphasise a need for balance between family life and consolidating classroom learning. There is an emphasis on helping students establish a positive routine of regular, independent study, without going overboard. Having said that, I never make my kids do theirs straight after school. They need a break. I even encourage them to nap because, like toddlers, their bodies have a lot going on so the nap helps them reboot. In fact, the nap (45 min) has changed our lives. They are so much happier to interact and work. And teens are meant to be night owls, they work better then, so yes their bed time is later but I’ll take that over “surly girlie” kids any day. The key is balance and while homework is important, so too are the other healthy activities. 

Guidelines prescribe levels of homework for different age groups as follows:

In the Prep year, generally students will not be set homework

• Homework in Years 1,2, 3 could be up to - but generally not more than – an hour each week
  • Homework in Years 4 and 5 could be up to - but generally not more than – 2-3 hours each week
  • Homework in Years 6 and 7 could be up to - but generally not more than – 3-4 hours each week
  • Homework in Years 8 and 9 could be up to - but not more than - five hours each week
  • Homework in Years 10, 11 and 12 will vary according to the young person’s learning needs and individual programs of learning.

Now, how this works for each kid can be different. One of ours likes traditional learning styles. Our youngest likes the “doodle” method, which is also effective. Research shows learning outside is better than inside or going for a walk after learning can help consolidate the days efforts. Handwriting is important. Flexing the right side while learning and the left while recalling is also helpful to some. If revising, then reading aloud, rewording or recording in a different way can help. One of ours likes to record audio notes. Study groups are great for teens (over skype, online is fine) as long as they are not just sharing answers. 

Basically, experiment to find what works for your child and then make it routine. Encourage her to set achievable goals, reflect on her work and changes she can make. Have fun. 

JA

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hi @Sapna1, thanks for that question. It is a really hard one to answer, unfortunately. Each school can set a different requirement of students.. and often for younger children, studying can include educational games. Some children may do less or more study depending on their motivation, attention span, ability and goals.

What is your experience with this? Do your children study?
Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8
Solution

Hi Sapna

Homework sucks. It’s been a long day, there are extra curricular activities, separated families and everything else. There are many different thoughts on home work. 

Queensland state schools emphasise a need for balance between family life and consolidating classroom learning. There is an emphasis on helping students establish a positive routine of regular, independent study, without going overboard. Having said that, I never make my kids do theirs straight after school. They need a break. I even encourage them to nap because, like toddlers, their bodies have a lot going on so the nap helps them reboot. In fact, the nap (45 min) has changed our lives. They are so much happier to interact and work. And teens are meant to be night owls, they work better then, so yes their bed time is later but I’ll take that over “surly girlie” kids any day. The key is balance and while homework is important, so too are the other healthy activities. 

Guidelines prescribe levels of homework for different age groups as follows:

In the Prep year, generally students will not be set homework

• Homework in Years 1,2, 3 could be up to - but generally not more than – an hour each week
  • Homework in Years 4 and 5 could be up to - but generally not more than – 2-3 hours each week
  • Homework in Years 6 and 7 could be up to - but generally not more than – 3-4 hours each week
  • Homework in Years 8 and 9 could be up to - but not more than - five hours each week
  • Homework in Years 10, 11 and 12 will vary according to the young person’s learning needs and individual programs of learning.

Now, how this works for each kid can be different. One of ours likes traditional learning styles. Our youngest likes the “doodle” method, which is also effective. Research shows learning outside is better than inside or going for a walk after learning can help consolidate the days efforts. Handwriting is important. Flexing the right side while learning and the left while recalling is also helpful to some. If revising, then reading aloud, rewording or recording in a different way can help. One of ours likes to record audio notes. Study groups are great for teens (over skype, online is fine) as long as they are not just sharing answers. 

Basically, experiment to find what works for your child and then make it routine. Encourage her to set achievable goals, reflect on her work and changes she can make. Have fun. 

JA
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @Sapna1

What are your thoughts after reading some of the responses from @Taylor-RO and @JAKGR8 ?

Some really amazing insights here from @JAKGR8! I really love the learning styles described- it’s so true that teens have such unique styles of learning and experimenting with style may help your teen study

Check out our community activities calendar here