Need help now?

Pokemon GO - should you be worried?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

You may have noticed that in the last week your teenager suddenly walked out the front door glued to their phone as they talked about capturing monsters!!

I've noticed this ALL over my social media feeds and even the news, Pokemon GO uses the phone's GPS and internet to turn the whole world into a Pokemon region map.

Here at ReachOut we couldn't be happier! Getting people walking, active and outdoors, and importantly, it's getting people interacting and connecting on the street. Social interaction and making new friends are known to be protective factors for mental health.

In general, we are pretty pro-video games here at ReachOut - the problem isn’t usually with the game – it’s with the behaviours around it (avoiding social interaction and physical activity) - everything in moderation!

Gaming is fun, and research shows games can positively influence young people’s emotional state, self-esteem, optimism, vitality, resilience, engagement, relationships, sense of competence, self-acceptance and social connections and functioning.

But Pokemon Go takes it a step further encouraging physical activity and connections in the real world - have a read of this from Buzzfeed

"Tumblr user Ari ... is 18 and lives in Orlando in Florida. She has anxiety and depression and for the past three years has avoided leaving the house unless absolutely necessary.

“But as soon as I got Pokemon Go I was able to leave the house, and I walked outside for hours and suddenly found myself enjoying it. I had the instant rush of dopamine whenever I caught a Pokémon, and I wanted to keep going. Then today and yesterday I purposely put myself in social situations, going to the mall, just to play. And best of all I enjoyed it."

Wow! So... what's your verdict?

Contributor
readthemanual

Re: Pokemon GO - should you be worried?

it is interesting to see players going out instead of staying inside. I guess it's at least good for their health. Yet, I am very worried at the safety on the road, as I am worried about young people using their phones on the road in general. 

I wish apple or other brand can create a anti-bumping function or some sort.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

My kids are enjoying it! I came across this article on twitter last week. Players say Pokemon Go helps their mental health.  Even the WA police are getting in on the action! 

Like any online, players need to be aware of risk such as in app purchases. In Pokemon Go you can buy a "lure" and one needs to be aware of who may be providing that lure for kids potentially hunting on their own. 

I love how kids are getting toghether to geo hunt! A terrific blend of using technology to enhance connectedness, provide fun goals and venture out in nature to get people moving. 

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Wow those articles are great @AmyJay! I also listened to this episode on Hack on JJJ.... And yes, definitely there are risks that need to be avoided but  "getting together to geo-hunt" - just sounds awesome!

Frequent scribe
StHubbins

It's certainly taken off!

It seems like harmless fun to me, and can only be better than playing video games at home alone.

Though I've got to say I'm just waiting for someone to fall into a manhole or get hit by a truck.

========================================

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains an image

I know right @StHubbins - though to be honest that was happening anyway!

h685BDCFA.gif

Contributor
readthemanual

I had a visitor so was out during the weekend. I was amazed to see so many people, mostly young stationed at places like the Opera House playing the game. My friend in Camberra saw the same crowd in Questcom.

I also heard lots of comments from people, the most common is, 'at least it gets the geeks outside.' I also heard funny comments like the company is collecting data and spying on the whole world! (might be possible)

Contributor
Mitzi

Message contains an image

Have to admit I downloaded it. Caught one, then I saw something sparkly and lost interest. Now there are about 10 of them in my garden. Meh.

But for young folks, I think it's great: they're getting outside in the sunshine! They're walking! They're learning about team co-operation!

Oh look. There's one on the corner. Just have to cross the road to get it. Go on, get it.Oh look. There's one on the corner. Just have to cross the road to get it. Go on, get it.

Casual scribe
Kitty_Karen

Good day dear Sophie!

I am in complete agreement with you about Pokemon Go being a positive thing for our community. It really does help kids get out to the real word instead of sitting at home in front of their screens. Alas, there are some negatives to think about too. The traffic could be affected by small kids running around looking straight down to their phones and not seeing cars driving by at extremely high speeds. In my opinion the pokemons should not appear in places near roads, instead they should only come around at parks and places with similar safety.

I myself have four children aged 4, 7, 11 and 13. They thoroughly enjoy playing Pokemon Go as well. I am incredibly happy that I don’t need to play with them anymore because they spend their time outside hunting Pokemons. A little side note though; three of them have nearly died of heatstroke/being run over.

As a whole I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I really hope Pokemon Go is here to stay.

Kind regards, Karen 43y searching for a husband, 3rd times the charm!!

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

hey @Kitty_Karen , thanks for your input on this thread - it's been a few years since someone posted in this one! 

Pokemon go seems to have faded into the back ground now, but great to hear it's still a  positive thing for your family. 

Let us know if there's anything you'd like to talk more about  - we have many parents here giving insights and advice on a whole range of topics. 

Heart