Need help now?

Teenagers and telling lies on social media

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Pullinghairout

How can I explain to my son that posting lies to his friend that he is getting abused, hit, bashed at home has its consequences, yes it sounds bad on our part but in no way do we abuse our son, he has everything he could possibly want yet it’s never enough, we’re having problems with his school work and efforts he is spending all his time on video games and his phone when asked to do some study or schoolwork he gives us attitude and excuses he is addicted. Short of physically taking these things off him which is a fight and ends up in a yelling match between us I’m at a loss. I would love for someone to come here and ask him about these msg’s to make him see that he can be taken away and put into care elsewhere we can be arrested for the lies being told again CONSEQUENCES of his actions
Prolific scribe
Erin-RO

Re: Teenagers and telling lies on social media

Message contains a hyperlink

This sounds like a really frustrating situation Pullinghairout… I'm sure some parents will be able to share their stratagies with you shortly. In the meantime (if you haven't already) it might be worthwhile getting some support with implementing strategies / boundaries / consequences and taking care of yourselves, while you work through this with your son. Have you ever chatted to Parentline before? They offer counselling and support for parents (open 8am to 10pm) and may be able to offer you a tailored approach to managing things?

Casual scribe
Pullinghairout

It’s those boundaries that and consequences that started it all he got the games taken away because he didn’t do his schoolwork then yelled and argued for an hour before his dad walked in and told him no uncertain terms to speak to his mother with respect which in turn he went to his room to do his work of which I thought was happening but it seems he was just venting to his friends on snapchat
Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Message contains a hyperlink

This sounds so frustrating and so hard to know what to do. 

What did you think of the idea to talk to ParentsLine about this issue? They might have some good strategies or ideas. 

We also have a coaching service available through ReachOut for 1:1 support with counselors as well. 

How did you find out about the snap chat messages he was sending? 

Have you had a conversation with him about the consequences that could occur about the claims of abuse he is making? 

Casual scribe
Pullinghairout

As part of the conditions of him having a phone I have access to his messages at any time for these reasons. I have got us in to see a local councillor through the youth hub in our area we’re going to see them on Monday. I talked to him about the consequences even offered to take him to the police station so he could make a report if he felt like he was being abused he was extremely apologetic and said he didn’t mean it, didn’t realise what could happen,