Need help now?

What good parenting looks like?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
GrhRo

Message contains a hyperlink

I though I would share this little story from a Child Therapist on what she thinks good parenting looks like ..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/child-therapist-gives-gorgeous-explanation-of-what-good-paren...

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: What good parenting looks like?

I like that a lot. Thanks @GrhRo Do you like her blog?

Casual scribe
Fizz15

Good parenting means to be present daily, connect and help your child understand their emotions. If your teen says they "feel like crap", ask them, "what does crap feel like to you right now"? Help them out here. Is it angry, sad, frustrated? Help them to develop their emotional intelligence.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

That's a great description of good parenting @Fizz15

I like your approach to helping teenagers learn to articulate their emotions.  It's a really simple and effective way to help them understand their own feelings and, as you say, grow their emotional intelligence.

Casual scribe
Fizz15

Glad you found it beneficial

Helping our teens connect with real emotions can only reduce anxiety in a world that is filled with fear. 

Prolific scribe
Lily17

I am glad they added the word breathing it is so important!  I know when I go to my weekly drowning chi class I am far too busy trying to keep my balance then breathing.

I try so hard to remember but when you are dog paddling with your feet on the bottom of the pool and everyone else is following the instructor, I get out of the pool 45 mins later and breathe as fast as I can to catch up.. rather like parenting!

You know you are a fantastic parent when the kids are in bed and there is a strange noise we don't recognise or believe 12 hrs ago was even possible.

Yet another day survived..