Need help now?

Ask A Young Person (almost) anything!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Message contains a hyperlink

Sometimes the mind of a young person / teenager feels like another planet entirely.

We have a team of trained youth volunteers, aged 16 - 25,  supporting our youth community on our Youth Forum.

They have put their hand up to answer some of your questions and give a bit of a youth perspective on issues.  Of course no two young people are the same, but they hope they can help bridge the divide! 

If you would you like a young person's perspective or insight on something, submit your question anonymously here. We post answers each Tuesday. 

Highlighted
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: Ask a young person (almost) anything!

Message contains a hyperlink

List of questions and answers: 

Q1: "When you feel like you're letting down your parents, and you see yourself as 'the naughty kid', what do you want your parents to say to you?"

Answer here  

Q2:  When you are taking more and more risks with drugs, what do you wish your parents were saying to you versus what they usually say? What can a parent say, instead of using ‘the big stick’ approach?

Answer here

Q3: My 15yr old daughter keeps taking things that are not hers and using it without asking. She's rude and aggressive most of the time. When I ask her why she keeps doing those things she told me she doesn't like any of us, which is her family, and she thinks she hates me. I asked her why and she said no reason. What is really going on in her head because it's affecting her school and our household? 

Answer here

Q4:How can I help my 17 year old daughter through her first break up?

Answer here

Q5How much phone time should a teen get on school days?

Answer here 

Q6: My son is acting strangely, sleeping and eating at strange times. He seems happy when I speak to him but it's hard to communicate through a closed door. What can I do?

Answer here

Q7: My step daughter does not respect me- How can I start to to have a good relationship with her? I'm at a loss. Answer here

Q8: My daughter has social anxiety and has already missed a significant amount of time from school this year. She says she doesn't want to go anywhere, and I think her rejection is so strong she is scared to go out. How can I help her? Answer here

Q:9: Do you feel powerless or lacking control in your education or vocational programs? Answer here

Q10: I'm an estranged father. My kids don't respond to messages or pick up calls. Does someone have a suggestion of how I can reconnect? Answer here

Q11: What do I do when my daughter is becoming sexually active? Answer here

Q12: How to support your teen when things are feeling out of control? Answer here

Q13: "How can I talk to my teen about dating and relationships?" Answer Here

Check out our community activities calendar here
Dad4good

Just want to say that this is a great idea. Well done ReachOut, your doing an awesome job!

gina-Ro

Just a quick update! 

We have received a lot of great questions!! 

If you have submitted a question and waiting on an answer, do not fear! It has been received, and we are working with our amazing team of teens now to get some answers posted up in this thread. 

Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hello Parents Community,

Our youth volunteers and leaders have been working hard over the weekend to get to all the questions! 

We are now ready to start sharing some of the responses from our youth volunteers!

Check out our community activities calendar here