Need help now?

ReachOut Parents Coaching

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

ReachOut Parents Coaching

Message contains a hyperlink Message contains an image

Hey everyone!

ReachOut Parents is very excited to launch ReachOut Parent's Coaching in January 2017.

We are inviting all ReachOut Parents to register.  

The coaches are trained professionals from The Benevolent Society who work with you to become the parent (or carer) you want to be and achieve effective and positive relationships with your teenager. 

The only criteria is, you have:

• Concerns about your relationship with your teenager or their well being
  • A teenager aged between 12 – 18 years of age in your care
  • Access to a desktop or tablet, and a phone

To find out more click here & if you are interested click here

Thanks so much!!

Image result for you are awesome meme

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: ReachOut Parents Coaching

ReachOut Parents Coaching - Frequently Asked Questions

What is Parents Coaching?

Our parenting coaches work in partnership with you to be the parent (or carer) you want to be and achieve effective and positive relationships with your teenager. You may want to feel less stressed, more confident or relate to your teenager more effectively.

A coach helps to clarify what you want, what’s working and what's getting in the way. Together you’ll develop a plan with you to move forward and the coach supports you with effective parenting tools and strategies. It’s then up to you to implement the goals and strategies decided on during coaching sessions. A coach is not a counsellor in that the focus is not on the problem, but on the solution and the way forward.

Is Parents Coaching for me?

Coaching is open to parents and carers who are

• Worried about their relationship with their teenager and their behaviour or wellbeing.
  • Your teenager needs to be aged between 12 – 18 years of age.
  • You need access to a desktop or tablet and a phone

What Can I Expect?

Step 1 – Registration - we get the information to help us help you the best we can - it may take about 20 minutes to complete.

Step 2 – Schedule an appointment time for the first session - ‘Understanding My Teenager’. Before your appointment you watch the recommended short video in preparation for the session.

Step 3 – A Parenting Coach will contact you by phone at your requested time and chat about your needs. We listen to your concerns about your teenager, help you set goals and develop an Action Plan. We also help you make a decision about a further session.

Step 4 – Depending on your circumstances the focus of further sessions could be on ‘connecting’ with, ‘communicating’ with, or ‘supporting’ your teenager. During these sessions, we could review which parts of your Action Plan worked and what didn’t; we might use tools and resources to support you.

Remember - it is important to watch the recommended video before each scheduled session as it will help you to get the most out of your coaching time.  

Step 5 – One month after your last session we will contact you for a brief ‘Follow Up’ session to see how things are working and if you would like further support from us.

How many parent coaching sessions will I need?

Our coaching program has an initial ‘Understanding My Teenager’ session that may be completed alone or followed by any of three further sessions and there is also a brief ‘Follow Up’ session at the end. You do not have to commit straight away to completing all of them. In your parent coaching agreement with us, you commit only to doing your best for yourself and your teenager. You may stop at any stage. After each session your Coach will help you decide if another session would be helpful.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Why do I need to sign a parent coaching agreement?

Our parent coaching agreement aims to help you feel confident that you are receiving a high quality service from us, but also helps us know you commit to the process, which is the best way to achieve positive results for your family. The agreement sets out the ways we will successfully work together and outlines what you can expect from us and what we expect from you. It also lets you know how we keep your private information safe.

What is the difference between parent coaching, counselling and therapy?

Parent coaching is a relationship focused on helping you become the parent you want to be for your children.  The coach’s role is to provide education, support and encouragement as you begin to implement new strategies and techniques with your teenager. We will work in partnership with you to find the solutions that work for you and your family – you are the expert on your family. We focus on your current challenges as a parent and the future, because no matter what has happened in the past, any parent can improve their relationship with their teenager.

Counselling and therapy are different to coaching as they focus more on dealing with issues and challenges from your past and how these impact your current mental health. When you seek help from a counsellor or therapist, they guide you to a deeper understanding and management of your mental health concerns.

If during our conversations we feel that you or your teenager would benefit from therapy or counselling as opposed to coaching, we will encourage you to seek support from a qualified mental health provider in your area and help you find someone suitable. 

What are the coach’s professional backgrounds?

All our Parenting Coaches are degree level qualified in Social Work, Psychology or Health and come with years of experience supporting parents, children and young people.

How much does parent coaching cost?
Our funding through the Department of Social Services means we can provide all our services for FREE.

When are appointments available?

We offer a range of flexible appointment times – we know parents are busy! Appointments are available during the day or in the evenings to suit your schedule – just check our online booking system for availability.

What if I need to cancel an appointment?

We ask that you reschedule in the online booking system as soon as possible if you need to cancel or change your appointment time. Whenever possible, 24 hours notice from you is really helpful. This enables us to support other parents waiting for our service.

Does my teenager need to be involved?

No. This service is for you as the parent/carer. We believe that you are the most important person in your teenager’s life and by helping you find solutions; you can then best support your teenager through this unique developmental stage. It is a common misconception parents have that adolescence is a time of separation from parents, when in fact, your role in supporting, empathising, guiding and setting boundaries for your teenager is crucial.

My parenting partner and I see a situation differently. Can you help us?

Yes. One of the challenges of parenting together is that each of you brings your own perspective and ideas on how to manage and approach issues with your teenager. Parenting cooperatively together is an important skill that leads to healthier relationships and happier teenagers and we will support you to find solutions that you both agree on.

Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Email forums@reachout.com to register

Active scribe
Mumsa

This sounds wonderful. I'm in the US, can you still do Coaching w me?? I have not seen anything like this offered in the US.