Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Casual scribe

Re: Computer Addiction

Hi 

New to the forum. 

My son is 15 and we have experienced very similar behaviour with computer games. It all seems so harmless when you initially agree to them being in the house. But we realised on a family holiday that we had to do something about it. We were travelling  on vacation through the Rockies and said to our son, hey look at the bear and her cub! He barely even raised his eyes from his handheld! I couldn't believe it. So when we got home, we agreed that we needed to get him involved in something else. It's very difficult as gaming is much more exciting than real life. A local archery club was beginning near us, and we kinda reckoned that it maybe had the same appeal as some of the games he was playing, but was teaching him to be social and getting him out of his room!

2 years later the new activity has certainly worked! He still games, but maybe for only an hour a week, compared to the all weekend previously. The bad moods and rage has gone, as he can now channel this energy into his archery. We are so grateful that we could get him involved in a sport. There is so much tech available to teens nowadays, we can't get rid of it totally. They have grown up with it and so don't know any different. It's hard for us as parents to understand the how addictive gaming is, but it had become our sons life and he couldn't see anything else. I knew we were in trouble and we had to break the gaming cycle. Hope this helps somewhat!

Community Manager

Re: Computer Addiction

Hey @VirginiaMum 

Thank you so much for sharing this story with us Heart I'm sure it will give hope to parents that are currently struggling to manage their teens screen time. I love the idea of getting him involved in something that had a similar appeal to the games he was playing. 

Well done to you and your family for breaking the cycle of gaming Heart