Need help now?

Daughter fake social media posts

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Worrywart
Solved!

This might not seem like a major issue but I'm concerned about my daughter creating fake social media posts on her own account so it looks like she has a more exciting life with lots of glamorous friends. She finds photos from the internet of groups of teens on the beach at sunset, etc and even chats to people online about them as if they were real. She actually has good friends and quite a fun life. I wonder if this is just harmless fantasising? I'm happy for her to be on her phone communicating with friends and for entertainment but I'm not sure about this

Accepted Solutions
Super frequent scribe
Iona-RO
Solution

Re: Daughter fake social media posts

Hi @Worrywart 

Thanks for reaching out for support, navigating social media and our children can be a really tough one!

I'm wondering if you have asked your daughter about the fake social media posts she's made? Or why she does it?

It's great to hear she has a good group of friends, but I can understand your concerns around her doing this on social media. I'm thinking that even though it may be harmless fantasising, it may end up affecting her real friendships if they find out about it. What do you think?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super frequent scribe
Iona-RO
Solution

Hi @Worrywart 

Thanks for reaching out for support, navigating social media and our children can be a really tough one!

I'm wondering if you have asked your daughter about the fake social media posts she's made? Or why she does it?

It's great to hear she has a good group of friends, but I can understand your concerns around her doing this on social media. I'm thinking that even though it may be harmless fantasising, it may end up affecting her real friendships if they find out about it. What do you think?

Casual scribe
Worrywart

Thanks! I will talk to her about it more. And try to get her to take a break from Instagram for a bit, Worrywart

Contributor
Philippa-RO

@Worrywart you sound like a really supportive parent; talking with your daughter about it sounds like a helpful approach - I wonder if it could be interesting to explore her perspective on what she feels she gains from it, or if she feels there are any potential risks. 

If you'd like to talk things through any more, we're here to listen.