Need help now?

Daughter starting 5th year and isnt ready

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
trina1979

Hi all i honestly dont know were to.start..ive a 14 yr old.girl.who has in past self harmed shes been.doing great n hasnt self harmed in months my problem is shes hating school.at.present and just wants out and of course.now has been asked to.decide weather to.do 4yr r 5 yr i know shes not reafy for 5yr and needs 4yr to decide what shes doing.to.do.for a.career r after.school i.really want.her to.do.4yr but shes refusing.to.do it im.asking you all.should.i make her do.it.r let her.do.the 5yr im afraid that doing leaving cert will be to.stress.ful. And she will.resolve bk.to self harming again ...any advice would be great tia

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: Daughter starting 5th year and isnt ready

hi @trina1979  - welcome to our forum, so glad you've found us! 

That's amazing your daughter was able to stop self-harming - what helped us to do that? Does she see a counselor or therapist? 

Lots of other parents in this community have teenagers who have experienced self-harm, maybe they can offer you some support around that. 

From what you've said about schooling, it sounds like you're not in Australia - that's where our forum is based, and most people on here are familiar with a different schooling system.

Is the issue that your daughter has to choose which school year to go into? Is this because of her attendance, or marks at school?

Hoping we can be a support as you work through these issues! Heart

Highlighted
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Re: Daughter starting 5th year and isnt ready

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @trina1979 how are you feeling at the moment after @gina-Ro's insight? I edited your post as we need to be mindful of detailed method of self-harm on the forums, as it may churn up trauma's for other members.  You can read further info regarding this in the community guidelines Smiley Happy