Need help now?

Evidence-based interventions to reduce social media usage in adolescents

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Well-beingPsych

Hello Everyone,

I am a school psychologist looking around for evidence-based intervention programs suitable for adolescents, aimed at reducing the amount of time spent using social media. Anecdotally, I have had a number of students I see speak about how relieved they feel when they totally disengage from social media. That said, the functions that social media serves for many students are wide and varied, and there is seldom a one-size-fits-all solution. 

I am hoping that this thread might serve as a resource for practitioners and parents to speak about what they have found useful in reducing adolescent reliance on social media. As I discover programs, I shall list these here.

I look forward to hearing what you have found success using.

Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8

Re: Evidence-based interventions to reduce social media usage in adolescents

Message contains a hyperlink

This is a good thread @Well-beingPsych 

Evidence based interventions are few and far between at the moment, as any good research will take years to complete. There is Sarah Domoff from Central Michigan Uni who started research into this in 2017. I haven't seen any published results but haven't really looked either. 

Another resource I use a lot is Commonsense Media. I sign in under a parent and educator profile to access the different resources. Apparently we parents can't comprehend as much Smiley Happy This doesn't answer your question so much but I do use the Commonsense one research what my children are using and some of the apps out there that can help with media use.

Both American resources sadly.

Unfortunately, most of the interventions strategies out there seemed to be based on other addictions at the moment so it would be great to see what others come up with. 

JA