Need help now?

Had to sell my my sons Xbox because of his behaviour

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Hi there I’m Kerry and recently my 15 year old son has been really badly behaved and was told that if he continued he would have his Xbox taken off him which I did have to and I sold it like I told him I was going to. Do you think that this is reasonable ?i do myself.
Star contributor
Breez-RO

Re: Had to sell my my sons Xbox because of his behaviour

Hi @Kerry36, thanks for posting. It sounds like you're happy with the decision which is good. I think boundaries are really important in teaching adolescent's, I am assuming you gave him a few heads up's about the X Box being taken away? It can be a really hard one to comment on as every parent's definition of a boundary is quite different, I look forward to hearing what the community says about this one.

How are you feeling about everything between you and your son at the moment?

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Its ok our relationship at the moment I think he is coming to understand that his actions do have consequences if he continues them after being warned about what will happen. And I will always stand by my decisions as a mum that is. Also I think that all this gaming stuff is bad for kids anyways so I don’t really agree with it in the first place.🙂x
Contributor
Sister

Hi @Kerry36,

I think that is really good that you stuck to your word and removed the xbox.

Your son will respect you more eventually even if he is currently mad with you. Although it seems like he could be coming around already. How I wish I could put boundaries in place such as you have done without the concern of violence and aggression with my son! I also wish I had back-up from a partner to put boundaries in place but as a solo parent, this is not possible.

Have you considered an alternative (other than the xbox) for when your son behaves well?

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Thanks Hun I really appreciate your reply 😊x and not yet I don’t think he will be getting a alternative for quite a while so I have some time to thing maybe x
Prolific scribe
Schooner

Hi @Kerry36,

That's 100% reasonable. Good on you for taking a stand! 

Cheers

Highlighted
Scribe
mindyourzen11

Hi @Kerry36 

What you did is remarkable and I think any Mom should've done that every time a teenager misbehaves. Because sometimes, teens nowadays think that they're old enough to be independent and tend to forget that they're still under your care. And they should be remembered that you're still the boss and mother at the same time and you're just trying to remind her/him that his/her actions were wrong.

Don't forget to let them know what they did that make you do such thing, because sometimes when our children get angry, they don't think, they act. And when they act (bad), it will definitely hurt us.

I hope this message can help you. Give my regards to you and your family.

Best,

Frequent scribe
Kerry36

I absolutely agree hun I have had a long chat with him and told him that if he does something again or misbehaves then the same kind of thing will happen till he understands xx
Frequent scribe
Kerry36

Thx hun xx