Need help now?

Has your teen taken part in the 'Roast Me' phenomenon?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Has your teen taken part in the 'Roast Me' phenomenon?

Star contributor
Breez-RO

Re: Has your teen taken part in the 'Roast Me' phenomenon?

Spot on @sunflowermom it's far too dangerous. It is that overwhelming sense of curiosity, no doubt their peers are doing it. So detrimental though, at such a vulnerable age. Let us know how you get on with your daughter Heart 

Super star contributor
taokat

I really love what you said @Sunshine6 - “If we support them to build a relationship with themselves beyond their achievements then they can up days and down days, they can succeed and fail without it defining them”  I couldn’t agree more or have articulated it better, thank you for sharing with us.

What did your daughter think @sunflowermom? With all you’ve had going on I understand if it was a conversation that wasn’t priority Heart

Casual scribe
Sunshine6

Sorry for the time between check ins! I am new to forums :-) I have found that getting to know what it feels like to have a relationship with myself beyond what I do is how I can best support my kids to do the same for them because I know what it feels, looks and sounds like! If I am just telling them and not doing it myself it is just a theory and, as they are sensory beings and feel more than they understand or can translate, there is a mismatch for them of what we say and what they see. That has been my experience. 

So rock on dating ourselves :-)

Parent/Carer Community Champion
sunflowermom

I asked my daughter what she thought of the "Roast Me" and she said that was a horrible thing to do.

Highlighted
Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Hi @Sunshine6 very beautifully written! It sounds like you are setting an incredible example Smiley Happy I really love this sentence "If I am just telling them and not doing it myself it is just a theory and, as they are sensory beings and feel more than they understand or can translate, there is a mismatch for them of what we say and what they see." So great to hear that demonstrating some self-love is supporting your household Smiley Happy

Hi @sunflowermom, It's great you raised this topic with your daughter! Such an important conversation to have 

Check out our community activities calendar here