Need help now?

Help to understanding my 13 yo son to see all the opportunitoes he can choose...

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Help to understanding my 13 yo son to see all the opportunitoes he can choose...

Scribe
Zacaboo

My son 13 is a vwry athletic boy who has a hard time (which he does not see) seeing a path of opportunities to help him achieve his goals... its like he is driving in the busy city and he hits an intersection with all the traffic lights out... how can i help him remove the hurdles it seems he cannot see.
Highlighted
Casual scribe
WalterRO

Re: Help to understanding my 13 yo son to see all the opportunitoes he can choose...

Hey Zacaboo

Sounds like youre a caring parent and worry about his future. I love the analogy youve given about the traffic lights all being out and feeling stuck as to how to get through them.

Im wondering what do you think is getting in the way of him not being able to see opportunities exactly? Is he lacking motivation do you mean? Or does he feel confused by too many options? Whats stopping you from showing him what those opportunities are do you think?

Given his age, I imagine its very common that he might not see things as being as important as you see them.

You mentioned he has goals... what are they? Are these goals his own or perhaps your goals for him?

Whilst its natural that we want to help our kids as much as we can, sometimes the more we help, the more they are not learning for themselves, or worse, we can even push them away. Do you think there is a risk of that happening?

I can hear how much you want the best for him, shows that you are a great parent!