Need help now?

I have a toddler and just now a newborn. How to stop the attitude of the toddler?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

I have a toddler and just now a newborn. How to stop the attitude of the toddler?

Scribe
Tireddad

Hello. I'm a dad from the States, and I've been reading in our this site a bit. You all have have given great advice in the past. Now I need some help at home again. I have 3 year old toddler and a newborn little girl. My son (toddler) is acting up alot more than usual. I have tried numerous things with him to understand there is a new little one in the house. I've tried to tell him I need him to be a big boy and help, be responsible and respectful of his sister, such as keep an inside voice, play quietly and such. I have tried to keep him on track. But lately he doesn't eat at supper time, he spits food, spits in general, throws food, is a pain to put to sleep at night, does not listen to anyone. I even had to result in old ways if discipline with him, but yet he still doesn't do what it is needed. I understand that he knows he isn't the only child now, but when does it end? What else can I do? I'm old school, and I would prefer to use new school methods of discipline with him. Is old school the answer? HELP please folks.
Prolific scribe
Lan-RO

Re: I have a toddler and just now a newborn. How to stop the attitude of the toddler?

Hi @Tireddad welcome to ReachOut and thanks for sharing. It sounds like you are doing the best you can juggling the challenges of parenting a 3 year old toddler and a new born baby girl. I definitely feel for you and it's a tricky one particularly introducing a new member into the family and the dynamic changes within that. It's great that you've got in contact with our community for some support and it sounds like you have been trying a few different strategies with your son. For this, I'm going to tag some of our members for some advice and support @taokat @sunflowermom @hippychick @Tulip.  As you mentioned you're from the States, I'll just let you know that any resources we provide on the website such as services will be Australian based. We're here to listen and support you as best as we can. 

Highlighted
Super star contributor
taokat

Re: I have a toddler and just now a newborn. How to stop the attitude of the toddler?

Hi there @Tireddad, and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid that we may not be able to give you all the support you need as we are a site for parent with teens aged 12-18. In saying that your toddler sounds very much like my 16 year old!! 

Your son might be having trouble adjusting to the introduction of his sister to the family? A couple of forums for parents with toddlers I've found are mothering.com (Life with a Toddler) and Essential Kids. It might be worth checking them out as having the support of parents going through similar things is invaluable Smiley Happy

Scribe
NataNata

Hi,

The situation you explained is awful and one-in-one similar to my experience. Wenn my daughter was 5 she hated to be an elder child in the family. It was so difficult with her... I don't remember, how we went through it, but one day i realised, that she looks toys and clothing in a shop for her young brother. Maybe it's not a solution, but try to give your son a responsibility, let him be important in family's life. Smiley Happy