Need help now?

Is ANYONE getting enough sleep?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

I read a fact the other day that said teenagers should be getting 10 - 12 hours sleep a night.

I think I might have known this and then promptly forgot it, most likely due to tiredness.

Because my 13-year-old gets 8 hours from 10:30 PM until 6:30 AM and I thought we were doing ok.

No wonder she's so cranky!!

I average 6 - 7 hours a night. Not great.

How are the rest of you going in terms of sleep? And your teenagers?

I know sleep can be a really difficult topic for a lot of parents and teenagers but I'm interested to know how you do it in your home.

@Mum2017 and @Lily17 How much sleep do you get?

Active scribe
Mum2017

Re: Is ANYONE getting enough sleep?

Hello,

My son 16 is not getting enough sleep probably 6hrs at night and that is if he is home. He is out all day with his friends and sleeps out about 3-4 nights a week. And as for me i am lucky with 4 hours a night sleep as i am a shift worker.
Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Oh that's rough @Mum2017 I did shift work a few jobs back and it wrecked my sleep patterns. 

I have no idea how you go on 4 hours a night. What a trooper! Do you feel tired or are you accustomed to it?

How are things with your son being out that much? Is that ok with you?

Prolific scribe
Lily17

No night is the same for us.

T1 14 generally sleeps 8 hrs on week nights but more like 12 on wkends.

T2 14 generally 9 hrs wk days up to 11 on wkends. She's also SN so tends to get tired much faster.

I get about 5-6 hrs of broken sleep each night. Seems to be enough to get me through but I forever feel like crap.

Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

My kids have always loved their sleep  ! They have always managed 8 to 10 hours sleep a night and even more so now they are older.

I, on the other hand, average 6 hours of broken sleep a night. It's been that way for so long now, my body has adapted and I find even when I don't have to be awake early, my body clock is still ready to go at 4:30 am each day.

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thanks so much for posting @Lily17 Sorry about the difficulties you had along the way!

You get so little sleep. Is that because you're working while the kids are sleeping?

I know I tend to have late nights because when my kids are finally asleep it just feels like I'm finally able to do what I want to do, it's hard to give it up and sleep. Is that what happens for you too?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Wow @Big_Crab as a chronic late sleeper, I can't even imagine functioning that early. I haven't travelled much and get very excited when I do, but last time I went overseas I had to wake up at 5 AM and I genuinely considered cancelling the holiday. that's how much I hate early mornings.

What got you started with waking up that early? Or have you always done that?

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Image result for bedgasm meme

Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

I have always gotten up early. I have always had jobs that start early between 6:30 and 7:30, so it just sort of worked out. Then as I got older and moved further from the city and had to commute my waking time got earlier too. One good thing though is I finish at 4:00 in the afternoon so have time at the other end of the day to relax.

Prolific scribe
Lily17

I never had sleep issues BC but once they eventually came home from hospital it sounded like we lived in an animal barn with all the snorting etc. The body clock after years of shift work and kids became so mixed up so I just give in to sleep when it happens. But I loathe early hour starts, my brain does not function or process anything whatsoever..