Need help now?

My son has told me that he thinks that he might be transgender but he’s not sure. How can I help him

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

My son has told me that he thinks that he might be transgender but he’s not sure. How can I help him

Scribe
Shoeaddict

Message contains no text

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Re: My son has told me that he thinks that he might be transgender but he’s not sure. How can I help

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Shoeaddict ! Welcome to Ro parents forum. 

Thanks for coming on to ask about this - it's great that you're seeking out ways to help your son with his gender identity.

I think the main thing to focus on is being open to your son , and letting him know that whatever he decides is ok with you, and that you'll support him either way. 

He may be seeing your response before he talks further with you, or he may just be curious or unsure. Either way, open communication, and clear expressions of support and love are super important! I think it could be good to explore with him what it means for him to be male, and what it would mean for him to be female. 

It could also be helpful for him to meet or hear from other kids who have questioned their gender as well - theres a few places he might be able to do this, both online and in person. 

We have a video on what it means to be a parent of a transgender teen here

There are a few really amazing resources you could check out including the Gender Centre . Although they are based in Australia and it looks like you might be  posting from somewhere else? 

There is this short article from the Human rights centre on this very question that might be worth a read  - check it out here. 

If you're in the UK, there is a helpline at Mermaids, you could call on 0808 801 0400, to get advise and support- they have heaps of info and other support on their website here. 

Let me know if any of those supports above are helpful - they should be able to point you in the right direction of further information and support as well.  Heart