Need help now?

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
proudmommyof2

1. My children are 8 and 6. Something they did that made me laugh was actually today. We were in urgent care and they were bored so they started playing a game with their fingers. The game usually starts with avocado but since they were playing with fingers they said fingernail. I thought it was so silly.

2. I figure if I yell at them or try to punish them, it would not work. I'd get myself worked up. I always try to use logic with them. If you don't do this, then this happens.

3. I'm looking to see if anyone else feels what I'm currently feeling. I've spent my whole life trying to find purpose, trying to find who I am. And trying to provide for my children. But I think who I am is a mother. I love being a mother. It has changed me. And it has messed things up but because I didn't know it before. My goal in life was always make enough money to be able to pay for my own rent or mortgage maybe. But I took on too much and didn't realize it till now. I am trying to fix something now and I am hoping someone else feels this way so I know I'm not alone.

4. I do not have teenagers. But I think keeping an open communication line with the teenagers is very important and something I hope I do with my kids in a couple of years.

5. I get to spend those days with my kids. I love taking them to different places. Although for financial reasons, a movie is all I can do. Either at home and we'll order take out all day or we go to the theater.
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Blake-RO

Hey @proudmommyof2 

Welcome to the online forums!

Thank you for sharing about yourself and family, I can tell how much you love your children and want the best for them – they are very lucky to have you!

I was wondering if you felt comfortable sharing more about what you’re feeling and your situation?

I know that you mentioned that you took on too much, could you help us understand what you mean by this?

We are really glad that you have reached out and are wanting to connect with other parents and get some support. Do you have any supports in your life or have you been able to talk about what you’re feeling with anyone, either a close friend/family member or a health professional?

Casual scribe
proudmommyof2

My two kids and now ex-boyfriend moved to Florida 3 years ago. We were on our own. No family. I started working. Soon after I started going to school. My then boyfriends started working as well. Although we were both working I felt I had a lot on my shoulders. School, work, and the kids was a lot. But I worked because I wanted to make my own money. I wanted to provide financially, but it never made sense since I was always part time and made minimum wage. School was a way for me to get a better job but I ultimately chose wrong. The school I went to was only interested in the money and so I didn't get the education I needed to succeed in the field. I think if I would have been a stay at home mom my life would be much different right now. Because I love spending time with my kids. I would like for them to do extra curricular activities. I just don't have the time for it. So with all this thinking I've been doing, I feel maybe my whole purpose or my reason for being here has been to be the person to these kids. They love me and depend on me.

I dont have anyone really to talk to about this. I feel this way of thinking would be strange to most.
Super frequent scribe
Dem--RO

Hi @proudmommyof2,

I can understand how challenging this would be for you, and I'm incredibly sorry that your pursuit of education didn't work out as you had planned.

It's wonderful to see your love and dedication to your kids, and hopefully by being part of the forums you'll be able to find some support and connection with other parents.

Given that you don't have any family that can be there for you, do you have a friend that you trust enough to confide in about how you are feeling right now? Or are there any options for mothers support groups in your local area?

How are you taking care of yourself at moment? Is there something nice you can do for yourself over the weekend?