Need help now?

Right age to start school - before or after 5

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
S352151

Hello.
I have my son just over 4 now (their birthday is early May 2016).

I understand that he can start kindergarten next year as per rule that he will turn 5, on or before 31 July that year. But I will also have option to wait another year too.

Would it be wise to get him to school next year – as he will be one of the youngest when he goes to school next year. Or wait another year

Any experiences / ideas

Prolific scribe
Andrea-RO

Re: Right age to start school - before or after 5

Hello @S352151, thanks for sharing. Deciding on whether to send your son to school or kindergarten would be a big decision. I think there would be both pros and cons to sending him to school next year or the year after as it will mean that he would be younger than most of his year level and his peers/friends or older than most of his year level and peers/friends. It might also depend on some of your son’s social skills and whether you might think sending him to kindergarten to develop some more of the skills might be worthwhile. I am wondering if you have had a chance to discuss this with anyone else yet? You might find talking to a friend or someone from your child’s current day care (if he goes to day care) to be helpful as they might be able to share some advice or thoughts on this situation. I hope that these ideas have helped you out!

Active scribe
DadStress

Re: Right age to start school - before or after 5

Hard to say without knowing the lad.....

Both our kids are born so they are extremely young for their year level.

for the daughter; she’s always been very academic and mature.... never a problem. For the boy; massive problem that has effected every aspect of his schooling, really wish we could have delayed his start....