Need help now?

Self well being while parenting teens

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Scoops
Solved!

We have had an eventful and stressful couple of weeks and now it's all too much. I cant stop crying, thinking, worrying. I haven't been to work for two weeks and last night I was doing the ironing at 3am because I couldn't lie in bed thinking, crying, worrying and doing nothing. 

How do you overcome the want to just give up. I'm not talking about giving up on life, just parenting a teen. 

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Philippa-RO
Solution

Re: Self well being while parenting teens

Message contains a hyperlink

@Scoops I'm so glad you posted here on the forums, it sounds like it's been a really hard time for you recently. Parenting has its challenges at the best of times, but it's been such an unusual and stressful time in the world - it's bound to get too much sometimes. From reading your words, it really sounds like things are too much right now - is that right?

I know you said you're safe, but it sounds like you're in a really hard space and you could use some support. Being so upset that you can't work or sleep sounds so painful - you must be exhausted.
I wish someone could make you a warm drink and lift your burdens for a bit right now. Heart
Do you have any supportive people in your life who could offer a listening ear or a helping hand?
Is there anything in your life that gives you joy and relief from the stress that you might be able to bring into your life right now? There are some self care ideas here in case that's useful. 

I wanted to ask - do you think you might be feeling depressed?
There's a questionnaire here that might help if you're not sure.

It's completely normal to feel these kinds of feelings when life is throwing so many curveballs. Speaking for myself, when I've had hard times I found talking to someone outside it all like a counsellor or psychologist helpful. Do you think that type of thing might be helpful?

The government is offering extra support with counselling sessions at the moment because they acknowledge how much impact the pandemic is having on people's wellbeing. If you think it's something you'd like to look into, I'd suggest talking to your GP about accessing some Medicare funding.

I want you to know that we're here for you and we care, so please feel free to post here any time.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Contributor
Philippa-RO
Solution

Re: Self well being while parenting teens

Message contains a hyperlink

@Scoops I'm so glad you posted here on the forums, it sounds like it's been a really hard time for you recently. Parenting has its challenges at the best of times, but it's been such an unusual and stressful time in the world - it's bound to get too much sometimes. From reading your words, it really sounds like things are too much right now - is that right?

I know you said you're safe, but it sounds like you're in a really hard space and you could use some support. Being so upset that you can't work or sleep sounds so painful - you must be exhausted.
I wish someone could make you a warm drink and lift your burdens for a bit right now. Heart
Do you have any supportive people in your life who could offer a listening ear or a helping hand?
Is there anything in your life that gives you joy and relief from the stress that you might be able to bring into your life right now? There are some self care ideas here in case that's useful. 

I wanted to ask - do you think you might be feeling depressed?
There's a questionnaire here that might help if you're not sure.

It's completely normal to feel these kinds of feelings when life is throwing so many curveballs. Speaking for myself, when I've had hard times I found talking to someone outside it all like a counsellor or psychologist helpful. Do you think that type of thing might be helpful?

The government is offering extra support with counselling sessions at the moment because they acknowledge how much impact the pandemic is having on people's wellbeing. If you think it's something you'd like to look into, I'd suggest talking to your GP about accessing some Medicare funding.

I want you to know that we're here for you and we care, so please feel free to post here any time.