Need help now?

Son refused to come away with us for the weekend

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Luc001

Hi
My son refused to come on a weekend away because it’s boring. I know that it’s not his favourite place to go but I gave him plenty of notice about the weekend, the rest of the family is happy to be there and I ended up staying home with him.
I then spoke to him about it and he said that he didn’t care and we should have left him at home. I explained that he is 14 and often leaves the grill on so that’s not an option at the moment. He has accepted his consequence with no problem (phone and wifi removed) but I’d prefer to avoid this situation in the future. We only go for short stays of a weekend, and this is the first time in 6 months. Thoughts appreciated
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: Son refused to come away with us for the weekend

Hi @Luc001,

Thanks for sharing. What a very tricky situation! I can imagine you might be feeling quite frustrated about the situation, especially having to miss out on the weekend away. What was it like having to stay home?

It seems like this does not happen often.. however, if it did, would you do anything differently this time? Are there any other options?