Need help now?

The #metoo movement might be triggering for you or your teenagers.

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

You may or may not have noticed it today but there's a hashtag trending. It's #metoo and it's a response to the Harvey Weinstein allegations asking for women to post Me too in their status' to indicate they have experienced sexual harassment or abuse in an act of solidarity with women everywhere.

You can read more about it here

If you're not feeling up for it, today might be a good day to skip Facebook. 

And if you have a teenager that might be triggered by this type of conversation, it might be worth checking in with her/him.

1800RESPECT is an awesome service if you or your teenager needs to speak to someone about an experience they've had.

I'd love to know what you think of the hashtag and what your kids thought of it, if they mentioned it.

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: The #metoo movement might be triggering for you or your teenagers.

Thanks for posting this and bringing it to our attention @Ngaio-RO. I hadn't heard about it but appreciate the heads up.

I'm in two minds about the hashtag. As an adult who has experienced sexual abuse twice I think it's proactive in bringing awareness around the real prevalence of sexual assault in all it's forms in our society. That in turn works towards forging change. Solidarity between women - is there anything stronger?!

On the other hand, for teen victims, my initial feeling was, no, not good, they still need time to heal. These are impressionable years. But maybe it's teaching them they're not alone, it really wasn't their fault, they have nothing to feel ashamed about? 

I'm really interested to hear other parents thoughts on it.

Highlighted
Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: The #metoo movement might be triggering for you or your teenagers.

All great questions @taokat If you're free, join us for the Wednesday Wrap chat tonight at 8 pm  where we'll be discussing this.