Need help now?

Toddlers

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
hrmsj1447

Toddlers

I need advice for a whiney 3 year old. He has a melt down about everything!! Crying all day everyday. I literally can not take it anymore. I've tried everything to get him to stop. Nothing works. He cries for hours, throws himself on the ground and screams, slams doors, purposely breaks things. I don't know what else to do. The word "No" sends him into an hour long crying spree. His dad works midnights and it's impossible to keep him quiet during the day so he can sleep. I need help. This also started out of nowhere. His brother is 4 and also whines but not like this!!

Please help.
Star contributor
Janine-RO

Re: Toddlers

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi there @hrmsj1447 , 

As the parent of a 3 year old, I can really relate to what you're saying here! This can definitely be a really challenging age. Unfortunately these forums are for parents of kids aged 12 and over so this may not be the best place to get support I'm sorry- I did find these Raising children's network resources on toddlers and tantrums really good, they have some great explanations of different techniques that you can use to help manage tantrums. It looks like you may be in the USA, is that right? If you think it might be helpful to chat to a counsellor about how you're feeling, this service looks like it could be helpful: https://www.nationalparenthelpline.org/. 

It must be really exhausting looking after your kids and trying to keep them quiet while their dad is sleeping, do you have anyone who can look after them occasionally so that you can get a bit of a break? Do your kids go to preschool, or play groups at all? It's so important to try an look after yourself as much as possible, and it's really hard to do that if you're never getting a break!

Thinking of you - this age can definitely be challenging. 

Casual scribe
hrmsj1447

Oh I didn't realise it was for older children haha. I've just been posting on as many groups as possible. Unfortunately they do not go to preschool or any day care it's too expensive. We also have a 5 month old as well. We have very little help with baby sitting because all of our immediate family live 40 minutes or more away and I don't want to punish some neighborhood babysitter with them. There is also a 10 year old with the attitude of a 14 year old so it's hard to find someone who wants to take them all on
Contributor
Bre-RO

Aw @hrmsj1447 it sounds like you have a lot on your plate and I can understand why you'd be reaching out to lots of different platforms to get support. Feel free to post here about anything to do with your teen. Did you get a chance to check out the Raising Childrens Network link? Apparently they are quite helpful with the toddler stage. Also, do you have any other support networks around you?