Need help now?

Vegetarian teen - recipes and tips please

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Vegetarian teen - recipes and tips please

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Re: Vegetarian teen - recipes and tips please

not much of a chance to get to it yet @taokat but will definitely get there Smiley Happy
Super star contributor
taokat

You will @LovingThruBlue Smiley Happy

I have a yummy recipe for Leek and Potato soup. The recipe does include bacon, but that could easily be left out for your daughter. It's full of veggies and easy to make. I buy the soup pack veggies from Woolies which has carrots, a couple of spuds, turnip, celery and parsnip, then just add the extra ingredients. It's in my recipe book, but I'll see if I can find a link for it online. Perfect time of the year for soup too.

Highlighted
Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

Message contains a hyperlink

My 18 year old is vegan but went through a vegetarian stage to get there.  There are lots of great Indian dishes that are quite easy to prepare and good at filling them up (find my daughter was always hungry once she stopped eating meat).   You can make a few different ones and serve over a few mealtimes.  Check out recipes for dahl, channa masala, vegetable korma etc.  If you can be bothered making your own spice mixes, you can always use the jar ones.  If she likes eggs, quiches are pretty easy.  Can fill up with things like leftover roast vegetables.    This is another recipe I make quite a lot but also put in things like potato, zucchini, cauliflower etc.  http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/silverbeet-pie/00a8d5cd-7032-4b53-92ed-14f8e8049a46  

Super star contributor
taokat

Yum, I just looked that up @hashtagmum. Adding extra veggies is a good idea. I'm so hungry and dinner is 15 minutes away. I wish I had a piece of silverbeet pie in front of me NOW lol.

Contributor
LovingThruBlue

Thank you! @hashtagmum They're great ideas and Yummy recipe link! Smiley Happy 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

Hey @LovingThruBlue my eldest has been vegan then vegetarian since 17 years old. She's now 24.

My dad and his family are vego and he's a vego chef, so I am very happy to hit him up for some recipes but I wanted to share one with you that I have turned a number of my friends onto and my eldest learned to cook herself.

It's a super basic Dhaal - as mentioned by @hashtagmum

No exact recipe but you need -

•  a tin or two of cooked lentils (or for the super cheap version use little red lentils in the Asian section at Coles or Woollies. They are so little you can cook without pre soaking)
  • veggie stock (again for cheap use Massal and water - just fine)
  • a tin or two of diced tomatoes
  • Indian spices (for cheap use the classic curry mix. I've used korma paste or curry pastes, they all work)
  • garlic chopped
  • onion chopped
  • oil
  • fresh coriander

Heat oil in a big pan or saucepan until hot and then add spices - stir for a few minutes

add garlic and onion and stir until cooked

add lentils and stir for a couple of minutes

add tomatoes and stir

add stock and stir

leave to simmer for 30 mins or longer - top up liquid if it dries out - only salt if needed.

add chopped coriander when serving.

We live on this in winter. It freezes really well and tastes great for a couple of days in the fridge. It's a great brunch served on avocado on turkish toast.

I make it super mild so my kids will eat it but if she's into spicy you can crank that up. The beauty of this dish is it's healthy and really hard to wreck. The spices and stock stop it from being bland and kids can learn to cook it really easily and feel like they're making something exotic.

You also don't have to call it Dhaal if your daughter isn't into that sort of food.

It basically turns out like this - 

Image result for lentil dhal

Contributor
Beingme2017

@Ngaio-RO is that your actual pic? If so - you should be a foodie photographer!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Message contains an image

tv happy cute reactions alison brie GIF

Can I  be a foodie photographer who steals really good shots off the internet?

Frequent scribe
hashtagmum

I didn't know you could freeze dhal, @Ngaio-RO.  Good to know!

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Please take that with a grain of salt (yay! cooking pun) though @hashtagmum

I freeze everything with very little regard to how it looks when defrosted. So there may be a rule about freezing dhaal that I'm unaware of.