Need help now?

What does 'Online Peer Support' mean to you?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Hey guys,

ReachOut Parents is producing some content about Online Peer Support and wanted to know what the term means to parents.

Please let us know what the words 'Online Peer Support' mean, as far as you're concerned.

And what you get out of being a part of an Online Peer Support Community.

ReachOut will always ask for permission before using anyone's words. And just because you answer here does NOT mean you have to give permission for your words to be reproduced anywhere.

Please ask if you're unsure about anything.

Super frequent scribe
Big_Crab

Re: What does 'Online Peer Support' mean to you?

'Online Peer Support' to me is somewhere I can talk openly and honestly about what is happening in my life and knowing there will be others there to listen without judgment to what I am saying. It's knowing that even though there may not be a solution, others are willing to suggest ideas and share their own experiences. The main thing I get out of being a part of an Online Peer Support Community is the comfort in knowing there is somebody there to listen.
Prolific scribe
Red21

Online peer support
To start within a space of anonyminity
Coming from a space of lack of suitable and reasonable suggested support
A place to vent in a positive manner
A place to be heard
And a place to listen
A place where one is heard with ears of compassion
Without judgement
Possible learning that there is no bandaid for many issues
Yet a community of like minded souls
Whose hearts join
Where miracles happen
And a level of faith is renewed

A sense of belonging
Call it tribe
Or a kind of humanness

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thank you so much @Red21 and @Big_Crab

Would anyone else like to let us know what Online Peer Support means to you?

@taokat  @LovingThruBlue  @dadto2and3  @readthemanual  @Maggiemay

Super star contributor
taokat

What does Online Peer Support mean to me?

To me it means having people I can chat to online, who are there to listen, offer advice and/or support to help get through the tough times in parenting. It's a place where through anonymity, I can share openly and honestly. I also love it because it enables me to share what I have learnt with other parents, which keeps me feeling I have purpose, not just need, if that makes sense. 

Online peer support also means I get to witness first hand that I'm not the only parent having issues with my teen or struggling with my confidence in my parenting. To know I am not alone is actually huge. To learn that other parents have the same worries and insecurities as me is relieving. And to be part of a support group that is encouraging and that reminds me of the things I do well, is invaluable to me. I'm so hard on myself as a mum - peer support helps me be less so. 

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Thanks @taokat  That's great to hear.