Need help now?

what sort of learning does your kid respond to best?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
parentingnewbie

My child is 6 years old and will be starting her primary school next year in Malaysia. I'm wondering what sort of education is really helpful. Should a traditional school be sufficient or should I consider homeschooling?

Parent/Carer Community Champion
PapaBill

Re: what sort of learning does your kid respond to best?

Hi @parentingnewbie 

Sounds like an exciting time.  Being in a different country can be so exciting.

Will you be in Malaysia for an extended period (many years) or something more mid term (year or two)?

Are you going to be in the capital or regional areas?

My understanding is some of the regional areas are not as safe as others and safety should always be a concern irrespective of where you live.

I don't know much about Malaysian primary schools but I imagine in the larger cities there are different range of schools.  Public private or even ones focusing on Anglo-American families?

Would you be home schooling yourself or with a tutor?

Would you bee looking at joining a network of home schooling parents? 

From what I have learned about homeschooling is there often is a network of home schoolers who get together to help with the social development young children need.  Arranging outings and events where the children can interact.

There is a lot of factors to consider and the social and cultural opportunities are going to be fantastic no matter what you decide.

Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8

Re: what sort of learning does your kid respond to best?

Montessori if available. You can try a traditional school if you like and pull him out if it doesn't work. 

JA