Need help now?

Daughter's Ex boyfriend

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Scribe
Kat64

Daughter's Ex boyfriend

Can’t believe my daughter’s boyfriend has used her for 3 years in uni and our house and hospitality. We treated him like a son as we thought he made her happy his parents were never nice to her but we looked past this he is a swimmer and has now moved on to the next girl in uni we are so angry I am trying to move on but I really feel like confronting him the horrible person that he is.
Parent/Carer Community Champion
JAKGR8

Re: Daughter's Ex boyfriend

This is a horrible feeling. It stinks when your generosity is abused. He probably doesn’t realise how dreadful his behaviour is and confronting him won’t affect him. I do agree that venting is important though. Maybe write him a long letter. Something he can reflect on if it’s impactful. And you can be facetious by including a card for him to apologise to your daughter. Hope she is ok

JA
Super frequent scribe
Iona-RO

Re: Daughter's Ex boyfriend

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Kat64 

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter and her boyfriend splitting up, I imagine that must be really upsetting for her but also tough for you when he had been part of the family's life for so long.

How is your daughter coping with the break up? We have this really great article that gives lots of tips on how to support our children through relationship break ups that you might find helpful.

I can totally understand the anger you're feeling and the instinct to protect and stick up for your daughter. What are some ways you have managed similar feelings in the past? It's important that whilst you're supporting your daughter, you're also looking after your own wellbeing too.