Need help now?

Home School refusal

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Casual scribe
Van100

Home School refusal

I took my 14 year old daughter out of school due to bullying and now she won't do her online homeschooling at all. She is Neuro divergent and depressed and anxious. I've tried every servyand organisation to get her help but she won't engage
Community Manager
Lily_RO

Re: Home School refusal

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Van100 , welcome to the ReachOut forums - it's wonderful to have you here Smiley Happy

It sounds like you and your daughter have faced some significant challenges, and my heart goes out to both of you. Witnessing your child being subjected to bullying is incredibly tough, and it's understandable that you took the necessary steps to protect her well-being by pulling her out of school.

The added complexity of homeschooling, particularly for a child dealing with neurodiversity, depression, and anxiety, would undoubtedly be challenging. Your dedication as a parent in supporting her education despite these difficulties is truly commendable. It's understandable that she might find it difficult to engage given these circumstances, and I can also imagine how tough it is for you to see her struggle.

Regarding your daughter's mental health, I was wondering if she is receiving any support for her depression and anxiety?

In regards to homeschooling, I'm wondering if you have had the chance to talk to her about why she's finding it hard to engage in her online homeschooling? Having an open conversation with her might help uncover specific challenges she's facing, which could guide the type of support she needs.

I'm also curious to hear about the support avenues you've already explored. Knowing what you've tried can help us suggest additional resources or strategies that you might not have considered yet. One service I wanted to suggest trying out if you haven’t already is our free 1:1 parent coaching service, which you can find more info about here.

I’m mindful that supporting a child through homeschooling and mental health issues simultaneously is a huge responsibility, and it's important to prioritise your own well-being too. How have you been coping during these challenging times? Do you have any support systems in place for yourself as well? 

Casual scribe
Van100

Hi Lily and thank you for responding. My daughter will not engage with any of the services like Headspace for example, psychologist, doctors or family councillors. She will not talk to me about any issues and slams her door shut in my face if I try to discuss homeschooling. We will lose her curriculum from Euka on the 15/4 and I'm concerned she will not finish it even if she started now.
Mod
Bel_RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Van100,

I can see how taxing things have been for you. It would be difficult to see your daughter struggling and refusing to talk or get support. I can hear that you’re concerned about losing her curriculum with Euka. Have you considered reaching out to Euka to discuss the current situation and whether there is anything they can do to help? 

As Lily_RO mentioned, ReachOut offers free 1:1 parent coaching that may be a support for yourself during this time. I also encourage you to explore Carers Gateway who offer counselling and coaching, and may provide you with additional resources and support. It is really important to look after yourself while taking care of your young person.