Need help now?

Let's Talk

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Active scribe
WhaeaM

Let's Talk

Hi there

On top for me today is that my child gets to college on time and that she actually takes something to eat at school.  She has breakfast and then comes home ravenous because she hasn't eaten all day.  We have lots of stuff she can pack in her bag .. fruit, meusli bars, cracker snacks, cheese, and trail mix nuts ..etcetc  but she refuses to put them in her bag.    I have to take off to work before she leaves for school so I can't sit on her about this in the mornings.  No stress in the a.m.   Glad to hear any other ideas.

Star contributor
Jess1-RO

Re: Let's Talk

Hi @WhaeaM,

Staying nourished throughout the school day is so important in supporting concentration, engagement with learning and overall wellbeing- so I can understand your concern that your daughter is not taking food to school.

You mentioned that she doesn’t pack food into her bag, is this because she forgets in the mornings, she doesn’t want to take food to school, or is there another reason she has mentioned before?

It sounds like she has some morning routine and has a meal in the morning which is a really great start to the day. It also sounds like this has been something you have been working on for a while to help her plan for the day. Do you think having a chat with her about her morning routine and at what stage each morning she could dedicate to packing her bag with food? Maybe one evening. I’d be interested to hear what you have tried with her before Smiley Happy

Check out our community activities calendar here
Active scribe
Zo_ey

Message contains a hyperlink

Young people that age are are happy reading suggestions from bloggers/influencers who are popular in a younger age group. Perhaps you should share some blog posts about eating right written by young and fit bloggers. Here are a couple for you -

Eff Yeah Food

Oh She Glows

Just google a few and you'll find one which might suit her better. Who knows, she might get interested in cooking!

Active scribe
WhaeaM

Hi thanks for your reply.  I have a fridge full of fruit and lots of muesli bars, cheese and crackers, trail mix and pretzels cause she absolutely hates taking sandwiches and they always come home uneaten and squished from being in her bag.  I've tried getting her to come to supermarket to choose what she wants but she doesn't want to.  Sigh ... 

Active scribe
WhaeaM

sorry I've been away from this page ... it's a balance between work, my daughter, house work and downtime just to chill.  The newest part of the journey with my daughter is she does not like me yelling ... so I have promised her I will not yell (6 days in and I've kept my word) .. however I said there will be consequences for bad behavioiur or not doing chores and I laid these out for her ... no pocket money, no phone, no internet (not all at the same time but incremental if she reoffends and continues not to do chores).  It's been a very quiet week and I have stepped back from doing the things I used to do for her.  I actually think she feels she got the raw end of the deal but she did have options to respond in terms of what she felt was fair and at the conversation she was amiable and agreeable.  I have had to learn to relax and step back and let her take the reigns of her life and more importantly realise there are consequences for every action both good and bad.  Hard lesson for me but a good one and a very mature lesson for her.

Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Hi @WhaeaM, thanks for sharing. Don't stress about being away, we know you are all so busy! It sounds like you have set boundaries with your daughter that she agrees to which is important. I think letting her have her say on what is fair is really beneficial for the both of you. It can be hard to step back and relax at times but good on you! Keep us updated.