Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
Hellatired

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi @AmyJay,

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone too. It will be nice to have a support network of people who know what I'm going through and can empathise rather than criticise. It's nice to know I'm not the only one and maybe some people may have little gold nuggets of wisdom to share with me along the way.
I'm really finding the articles interesting. The environmental "setting the scene" tools to encourage skills building such as open communication etc. are great. But yet to be effective in this household lol.
Active scribe
NickiPower

A big hello to our newest members - @Virginia@Snibbles@lovelymum and @Fruittingle. Feel free to introduce yourself here! 

Active scribe
TheOtherChe

Hello and welcome to our newest members, @Panda, and @Leeanne

Prolific scribe
Luula

Great, as always, to see some new faces in the forum. Welcome @DonnaRowe@Panda@Virginia@Leeanne@lovelymum@Fruittingle. Please feel free to introduce yourselves.

Would love to know
1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
5. What are you doing over the school holidays?

Active scribe
Panda

I have 3 kids, 14 yo girl/boy twins and a singleton daugher who is nearly 13.

As their school requires each child to have their own computer they all have a laptop.  However My son is addicted to his computer, and gets angry and has a meltdown when you ask him to turn it off. 
I am not really sure how to deal with this, his father works long hours and I am often the one parenting them.  He and his father often butt heads.

Thanks

Super frequent scribe
Kalis

Welcome @Panda! That must be a difficult situation to manage – are all three kids close or do they have vastly different interests and lives? I can only imagine what the dynamic with twins must be like, and to often manage on your own must have its own unique challenges.

Active scribe
NickiPower

Welcome @Panda! That does sound like a difficult situation. Is there some specific thing about the computer that your son is addicted to - is it the games, internet or the build of the computer itself? 

Active scribe
NickiPower

Welcoming @Guidedbylove@georgi-li & @DonnaRowe to the forum! Please feel free to introduce yourselves.

Highlighted
Active scribe
Panda

thanks for your reply @NickiPower, U-tube videos mostly.  He isolates himself and then he cracks it.    My husband generally leaves home at 6am or earlier and often not home before 6pm.   The only day he is home is Friday, and he will take them to school and pick them up.  I have disconnected the internet on a few occasions, but that really just makes my sons temper worse, he somethimes fights with his sisters.  They have similar and different interests.

Active scribe
Panda

@Kalis, the have similar and different interests.  His sisters find him quite annoying at times.  The twins have friends in common both girls & boys.  There is 17 months between the twins and their younger sister