Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Scribe
RichardB6

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

hello Smiley Happy
Star contributor
TOM-RO

Hey @RichardB6 

Welcome to ReachOut! We have some "introduce myself" questions on this thread if you'd like to answer them. I have copied and pasted them for your convenience: 

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Scribe
Kris-teenMom

Hello all, there are some GREAT topics, It's going to take me a while to get through them. I'm a little more at ease with things now.

1. I have one 13 year old boy and the reason he didn't do well on his test is because a certain political party doesn't know how to make a test that he can do well on. (That made me giggle when my husband and I were trying to have a serious talk with him)

2. How do I keep the stress levels down? What most other parents do.....drink wine.

3. I'm reaching out because he is only 13 and I am already ripping out my hair.

4. Don't scream at them everyday.....apparently this is normal teenage behavior.

5. The best thing about the weekends is not having the crazy schedule that we have all week long. 

Active scribe
DavisMike22

1. 4, he acts like he knows everything.
2. I don't find parenting stressful to be honest. Costly, but not stressful. 
3. Google search of parenting forums. 
4. Get them focused on their careers / money making. 
5. I sleep in. 

Parent/Carer Community Champion
gina-Ro

Hey @Kris-teenMom  Welcome to the forum! 

Really glad you found us, I hope you find the discussions around the forum helpful. Let us know if you need any help navigating the site. 

There are so many amazing parents here who are a few years ahead of you on the teenage years, and can give you some great insights and support! Heart

Welcome to you too @DavisMike22 ! This forum is for parents of teens, rather than younger children, but I hope you find the discussions helpful! 

Active scribe
DavisMike22

@gina-Ro nice to meet you as well. I hope I can learn from the countless amount of experiences on this forum!

Casual scribe
Soulmama

Hello
1. My only child/daughter is 13 turning 14 in June. She went to the school strike climate change rally yesterday. When I asked her to send me a photo, while i was at work, of her placard, she sent me as photo of her new best friend holding cardboard with "eat 😺 save animals". I was horrified. Later when I shared the story with a parentline counsellor, I could see the funny side.
2. Try and see the funny side to the situation which is very hard at times. I finally used my Active April registration (after4 yeats) smd signed up to the local gym. I've been doing cycle classes, good to reveal how unfit I am, otherwise I practice yoga and meditation, try and eat well, use parentline, have a MHCP to see a psychologist and I have a few friends wh o I can call on for support. I also journal and garden when i have time.
3. Seeking support online with my daughter's behaviour.
4. Strong boundaries, reduced/limited internet and social media and heaps of love and encouragement.
5. Time free to be me, catching up with friends, going out to see art or music or staying home to relax and gardening time.
Casual scribe
Daphne1

Hi, I was looking for advice, and stumbled on this site. My teenage son wont engage at school and is reluctant to go. As a single working parent its hard to know the correct decision for the kids. I envy couples being able to toss around ideas. I have 4 children and a foster baby. My daughter has serious mental health issues. Glad to gain insight from a safe platform.

Casual scribe
Daphne1

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Hi there, yes my daughter self harms I blame myself mother guilt I guess.Its painful to see the kids scars

Highlighted
Super contributor
Taylor-RO

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

Hi @Daphne1, thanks for sharing, that sounds like it must be really tough. Does your daughter talk to you about her self-harm? What do you generally do when you discover that she has self-harmed? Does she receive any professional support at the moment?

Please feel most welcome to make a new thread to talk about these things. This thread is designed to be a quick introduce yourself section Smiley Happy