09-22-2019 11:56 PM
I am struggling greatly with the fact that my teen has considered, and tried to commit, suicide. We have taken steps to get her into counseling, with the first appointment coming up soon. I don't know what else to do.
1. I have a 20-something who lives away, plus a 15 year old and a 13 year old at home.
2. Music, chatting with friends, reading, and playing games are things I use to try to reduce my stress levels.
3. The main reason I came here is my 15 year old is suicidal, with one attempt that I know of, and other times came close.
4. The best things I can think of for dealing with teens is to be candid and caring, with an open door policy for discussion of any topic under the sun. I started this while they were very young.
5. Being home with my kids is the best thing about my weekends. Mine and my husband's schedules do not line up at all, so it is a rare thing to have time to spend together.
09-23-2019 10:29 AM
Welcome to ReachOut forums and thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself and what you're going through
It sounds like your family are going through a heart-breaking time. It's great to hear that your daughter has some counselling lined up - how is she going after her recent attempt?
Do you have any support for yourself and your husband at the moment?
Hope to hear back from you soon
10-07-2019 10:59 PM
HI, My kids are 18 (just) and 15. Girl and boy. My boy makes me laugh everyday!
Parenting can be stressful, but I think if you can just keep talking to your teens, it's the best medicine, but I know not always the easiest road.
The best thing about the weekends is my girl comes home from school.
11-18-2019 09:48 PM - edited 11-18-2019 09:50 PM
Welcome to the forums! I noticed you started your own thread to introduce yourself. I have removed your thread as we have our own "introduce yourself" section for new users. For future reference, when starting a new thread, it should usually be about an issue you are needing assistance/support for. So, it should include like a paragraph outlining the issue, so that other users have enough information to support you.
To get started you can introduce yourself by telling us:
1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?
Also, we have a set of community guidelines that we ask our users to abide by. You might want to familiarise yourself with them here.
11-28-2019 03:04 PM - last edited on 11-28-2019 06:10 PM by Taylor-RO
I am exactly in the same spot
My 15 yo son is currently hospitalised after his second serious suicide attempt. Feeling at a complete loss how to help him. He sees no hope for the future, no reasons for living.
Would love to talk to you more.
11-28-2019 03:08 PM - edited 11-28-2019 03:12 PM
1. I have a 15yo son, 13yo son, 8yo daughter and 7yo daughter
2. Stress levels cure; music!
3. I reached out today because my 15yo son has been readmitted after a second suicide attempt and we feeling completely terrified he might succeed upon discharge
4. Top tip would be communicate and don't judge
5. Best thing about the weekend is sleep ins and family time
11-28-2019 07:10 PM
11-29-2019 10:37 AM
Hi @brissiemumof4 just wanted to send our love and support today I can't begin to imagine the fear you must be feeling and I want you to know that we have parents in our community who can relate and offer some support Here for you any time you need to talk!
09:00AM to 10:00PM
We are not a counselling or crisis service and we can't guarantee you'll get a reply, so if you need to talk nowClick here for help
The current time is Sun, 10:35 PM
(Australian Eastern time)