Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Casual scribe
heli44

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hi all I am also new here and got a lot of information from hereSmiley Happy Slick platform, great community

Scribe
zeejay

Hi.. my name is Zee

1. I have two daughters, 13 and 17. They just do funny dances or faces that they wouldnt normally do outside the household even though i encourage them to just be themselves in every environment

2. Try to keep the stress levels down by trying to be more openminded, trusting them to make their own decisions/ choices/mistakes and ensuring they know they can reach out to us when they need 

3. Opportunity to speak with other parents and understand similar issues that they may be experiencing with their teens

4. Top tip: Always make time for your kids regardless of how busy you are, lots of love, respect and cuddles

5. Family time is the best thing about weekends

Prolific scribe
Portia_RO

Hi @heli44 and welcome to the community! It's great to have you here Smiley Very Happy

Prolific scribe
Portia_RO

Hi @zeejay and welcome, it's lovely to meet you Smiley Happy

Your two daughters sounds like a lot of fun! I love what you've said about trying to trust your kids to make their own decisions, but also reminding them that they can always reach out to you if they need you. It can be hard to watch them go out into the world while standing back, but I'm sure they so appreciate you giving them the chance to try, fall and learn.

We hope you find some other parents on here that you can relate to, and please feel free to make your own thread if you need any advice or you'd like to talk about anything in particular.

All the best Heart

Scribe
Joanie2

I can’t find the questions
Highlighted
Casual scribe
Aussiedutchie

Hi, my kids are 16 and 14, and my boy makes me laugh all the time with his wise cracks and goofyness. My daughter made me laugh when she remained pretty stoic all throughout her grounding when she was caught driving with passengers on her learners, until she received a ticket which she had to pay for. she doesn't like parting with her money very much :-). 

Hm. Stress levels...nothing a glass of red wine can't fix (or 2, or 3). Also love to hang out on the beach with our dog. Being near the ocean always makes everything better, for me.

Lately we have been running into a bit of trouble with our teens, and I guess I am hoping to find a community of parents who deals with similar issues, so that we can hopefully find support/give support and find a way forward.

Advice? Hm. Buckle up.

Best thing about the weekends: the beach with the dog, and especially when the teens want to come along (doesn't happen very often these days).

Active scribe
MAYC-RO

Hi @Aussiedutchie 

Welcome to the community!

Hopefully you find connecting with other parents useful and find some support to help navigate the complicated teenage years.

I love that you love the beach and dogs as well Heart

Casual scribe
hands4healing

Re: New member Intro

Hey there I am a 54 single mum. Of boy/girl 14 yr old twins1. My boy often entertains me me talking like Forrest Gump. My daughter amuses me with her geeky sharp wit and brutally honest remarks. Latest prank together….glad wrapping the door entry to my bedroom and hoping I wouldn’t see it upon entry😜
yes Parenting is a very stressful but joyful job. My biggest release, exercise, reading, laughter, music and a glass of wine . Oh don’t forget 🍫
What led you me to Reachout - I was having a moment dealing with my daughter being more defiant, testing more boundaries, not be truthful when tested and feeling like I was losing a connection with her.
My top parenting tip for parenting in teens - well the jury is still out as I have a few more years to hurdle through yet. For now I say - stay forever present and connected, alert, release the child leash and let them grow with your solidarity, adapt your approach as they are no longer a child as such.
weekend time, yay, no school lunch boxes, a time for a more flexible schedule, a time for fun, a time to reboot and enjoy their sports if they are the sporty type. I love my ⚽️Mum time.
when you have that meltdown moment, don’t be so hard on yourself. You haven’t failed, you are just human. That moment will surely pass X

Prolific scribe
Iona_RO

Re: New member Intro

Hi @hands4healing 

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

You've shared some fantastic advice on parenting there, I'm sure other parents in the community will relate.

Love a good family prank too!

Active scribe
ethanbrody02

Hello, ReachOut Community!

1. I kept looking into different forums about different topics because I liked to talk to different kinds of people. Now, I found out about ReachOut when I was doing research.
  2. I only have one daughter, and I'm very proud of her because she's very kind and helps everyone in her circle.
  3. I really liked watching movies. Especially in the movie theatre.
  4. My advice is that they should support our child in every decision he or she makes, and if the decision is wrong, they should tell our child politely what they think would be a better choice and help our child make it.