Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Prolific scribe
Red21

Re: howdy from keeping on keeping on ...

@chickieDo That's great !  Maybe you could describe a little here how the meditation makes you feel during and then afterwards how it helps you.  

Super frequent scribe
AeroGirl

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh? My kids are 18, 17, 11. They tease me about my cooking but secretly they love it!
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down? I give myself time out! I have a chair in my room that I go and sit in to have a cup of tea and journal or listen to some music.
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today? I'm interested in being part of a community 
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years? Don't make every conversation about the issue (whatever it is that your teen is facing) and make sure you keep doing things that your teen enjoys (eg: for us, it was baking with my daughter)
5. Whats the best thing about weekends? Slow mornings, kids sports, Saturday night movie at home with the family, church, friends over, outings (depending on the weather!)

Active scribe
Lienq

Morning! My kids are 16 and 19, both girls.
Reaching this point in life was a challenge and I think one thing that made it bearable was that I discovered negotiating with my kids rather than demanding or ordering them made all of our lives easier.
The biggest challenge in parenting for me is to see things through my children's eyes, to try and figure out how they experience situations.
My girls make me laugh a lot. The latest was when I asked my eldest if she wanted to make me coffee. She dramatically fell to the floor and started dragging herself to the kitchen. I got my coffee after a few theatricals though.

I want to join reach out to help parents but also their precious children. Life is short and our time with our kids at home even shorter.

I deal with the stress of parenting by having coffee dates with friends, reading and doing lots of sewing. Sometimes I would even convince one of my kids to help me with something I just 'can not' do myself 😉

The best thing about weekends is spending relaxed time with my family and also catching up with friends.
Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Hi @AeroGirl! It's so important to make sure you have fun times alongside all the commitments. It's lovely to hear that you have such a nice relationship with them!

It's great to have you here - we're really trying to build up the sense of community here at the moment. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help!
Highlighted
Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

This is lovely @Lienq, I loved reading your answers and about your efforts to put yourself in their shoes and try to negotiate more...

A lot of parents we've spoken to said that they were expecting to have more "me time" in the teenage years as their kids became more independent... but they've found that the kids take up just as much time as ever!

What sort of sewing do you do? I would love to be a better sewer.....
Active scribe
Lienq

Hi Sophi-RO,
Good to hear from you.
I make throws - fabric and crochet fusion.
It takes a while to make but is great fun!
Prolific scribe
Sophi-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Oh awesome! I know it's not really sewing but I love cross-stitch!

We'd love to hear more from you - some ideas to get started here are to:
1. Explore the topic tags - click on a topic that's relevent to you and see if there is anything you can reply to & support another parent.

2. Start a new discussion - in either
Chill Out (anything at all!)
Common Concerns (if something is on your mind)
Skills to Build (share something that works for you when it comes to parenting your teenager)

3. Come along to our live chat next Wednesday Night - find out more about Wednesday Wrap here. Put a reminder in your phone/diary!

4. Explore the Community Info to find out more

Hope to see you round!

Super frequent scribe
AeroGirl

Thanks for the welcome @Sophi-RO.  

My eldest turns 19 tomorrow, with the celebrations starting last night by the outdoor firepit! Good times 

Super frequent scribe
AeroGirl

Hi @Lienq, I love your idea of fabric and crocheting. This sounds really interesting. I'd like to hear more about it. Have you taught your girls? I'm a beginner crocheter with a little project on the go. I am a sucker for any of the Better Homes & Gardens mags that have colourful pictures of crocheting on the front!

Active scribe
Oceanentity

hi im a mum of two girls of my own 19 and 14. i also in the last 2 years share a 10 year old step daughter. 

I've come to reach out parents for guidance and support with my 14 year old , she is very different to the 19 year old was at the same age.