Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Super star contributor
taokat

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hey @YasminJai, welcome to the parent forum. We're a friendly community, all here to help support each other as parents as we navigate our way with our teens through these tricky years. 

So we can get to know you a little more, would you mind answering these few questions?

1. What are the ages of your kids?

2. What does the weekend mean to you?

3. What are two things your kids do that make you laugh?

4. How did you find out about ReachOut?

5. Would you like any help in starting a topic?

We look forward to seeing you in the forum, or offering any assistance with using the site. 

Contributor
Beingme2017

Welcome to the Reachout Parent forums @Charlotte

You've come to a wonderful and supportive group of parents - this is a safe place to vent, share stories, ask for advice and offer your own suggestions to others.

Please let us know what led you to ReachOut Parents? Feel free to tell us a little more about yourself, your kids - anything really Smiley Happy

Look forward to seeing you in the forums Smiley Happy

Scribe
Charlotte

Hi, I'm Charlotte.  I've got three children; a 14yr old son and 12yr old twins (boy/girl).  My husband and I are originally from the UK and we don't have any family over here and very little support.  My husband works long hours and I'm struggling to manage the kids on my own.  My eldest son is not at all interested in school and although he's very capable he doesn't bother at all and is failing in most subjects and isn't worried by this (or at least on the outside doesn't seem worried).  He would far rather spend his entire time on a computer or in front of some type of screen.  Earlier this year we had very serious concerns about a potential addiction to the PlayStation and sought some outside help and got rid of it completely, but he'd rather be on a screen than do anything else, even sport!  None of the kids get along, they all scream and shout and swear at each other.  My younger son is ever so slightly on the spectrum which means he has some 'interesting' traits that add a whole new dimension.  It's basically no fun at all being my kids mother and I constantly ask myself where am I going wrong?

Super star contributor
taokat

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Charlotte, you sound like a loving mum who's struggling, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. As @Beingme2017 said, you've reached a caring community here, with parents who will relate. 

Would you like to start a new topic here, (scroll about half way down the page) and then parents can more easily support you and offer help.

See you in the forum Smiley Happy 

Active scribe
grownupkids

Hi Everyone, 

- I have two girls aged 18 and 21 and am a single mother. One thing that made me laugh was when we all played a game on the PS4 and my 18 year old and I drew the same picture. 

- To keep my parenting stress levels down I go to the gym these days or take the dog for a walk. 

- The reason I came to ReachOut Parents today was to obviously discuss issues I am having with one of my children/young adults. 

- The top tip for pre-teens is - hold on, you're in for the ride of your life and no teenage experience is the same. Oh and make sure you actually do stuff for yourself occasionally. 

- The best thing about weekends is not being at work....simple. And that's not because I hate my job, I just like my weekends. 

Super star contributor
taokat

Welcome to the forum @grownupkids, we're so glad you found us.

Thank you for letting us know a little about you and your kids. You and your 18 yo must share similar thoughts!, How funny drawing the same picture. 

The gym is an awesome way to de-stress. I go too, and the benefits are two-fold - fitness and self care.

Please feel free to start a new topic in the forum and share the issues you are having. We're a community of parents all here to support each other. 

Star contributor
Zoesplace

A big warm hello to our newest members @suzieqbird @ravenmarcoe001 and @Yow771.

Please introduce yourselves, we'd love to know a bit more about you. 

Feel free to let us know:
1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents?
4. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Look forward to seeing you on the forums Smiley Happy

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Message contains a hyperlink

Hi @Charlotte Welcome to the Reach Out Parents forum.  Sounds like you are having a hard time with your kids which is not that fun at the moment - especially if your husband is working really long hours and you don't have much other support.  There are lots of compassionate and supportive parents on the forum which is a safe place to share stories and ask for advice. You can start a discussion about anything that's on your mind by clicking here.

ReachOut Parents also offer fantastic free Coaching for parents, that is very practical and offers tips that you can use straight away. The link is here if you'd like to check it out. It's done online and over the phone so it is very flexible. 

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to the Reach Out Parents forum @grownupkids. It is great that you all have fun with a game on the PS4, Never too old to play games with our kids! Smiley Happy  I noticed that you shared your story in a discussion, so I will respond to you there.  

Star contributor
Zoesplace

Welcome to the Reachout Parents forum  @liss-82 @Jas2540 and @Seahorse
You've come to a wonderful and supportive group of parents - this is a safe place to share stories, ask for advice and offer your own suggestions to others.   
Please feel free to let us know what led you to ReachOut Parents?  Look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy