Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Active scribe
Stephs_Mum

Re: New member? Introduce yourself here!

Hey Sophie-RO,

Thanks for the welcome Smiley Happy, I love Q&As so here you are:

1. My kids are Stephanie and Adam & seeing them follow their dreams, developing into kind, caring and considerate human beings as they navigate the teen years makes me very proud of them.

2. I came across RO parents while browsing my FB newsfeed and signed up straight away - I think this is something desperately needed by parents like me who have a child battling a mental health condition. There is such a limit to available services for the child who is suffering and even moreso information for parents who want to know what they can do best to help support their child.

3. My username is because I have no imagination - but is special because Steph is the inspiration for me signing up here.

4. Ahhh relaxation - when there is time, a hot bath, fragrant candles, great book and a glass of wine....all at once

5. Not sure I've been given really bad parenting advice..but best parenting advice/wisdom I've gained is to do what feels right for your child. I'm a bit of a rules/book person so this doesn't always come naturally!

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Message contains a hyperlink

Hey @Stephs_Mum - I'm with you there, love Q&As! Thank you so much for all your positive feedback. We're a new service - just 6 weeks old and so doing a lot right now to get the word out to parents. If you can let any other parents know about our community here that would be awesome!

Your story is sadly too common which is exactly why we've started ReachOut Parents! Hope to keep seeing you around... If you have any thoughts about what's worked for you as a parent to do with supporting your daughter's mental health we'd love for you to start a thread here. Or, as I'm sure you've got a lot of wisdom and experience to draw on, feel free to reply to any of the other discussions already going in there too.

See you round the forums!

Super frequent scribe
AmyJay

HI @Stephs_Mum, I heart your response to number 4! Welcome to RO Parents. AmyJay

New member? Let us know what's on your mind by Starting a New Topic here. Or replying to one here.

Contributor
Mitzi

Message contains a video

Not really new @MeJane but you still deserve a welcome so here it is. I see you like to relax with music so here is my latest favourite (I don't even know how I came across them - isn't the internet fab?)

Casual scribe
Kiwiinoz

Hi, I found this site through Facebook.
I have 4 lovely kids from 7-14.
We have moved countries and finding our feet in Australia.
Everyone gives advice, take what is helpful and leave the rest.
Highlighted
Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey @Kiwiinoz, so glad you found us! Wow moving countries with the fam is massive - I'll head over to your other thread in a moment... Thanks so much for introducing yourself and hope to keep seeing you round, I bet you have a lot of wise words to share.

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Just wanted to say hi to @Badbanksy, @BooMonster @Madmax @Saphi @Beekeeper @Hopefulmum @Ameelai @Maree and @Mmmmm! Welcome our newest members....

Introduce yourselves by letting us know:

1. How old are your kids and what makes you proud of them?

2. What led you to signing up to RO Parents?

3. Tell us more about your username - any special meaning? 

4. What's your number one way to relax?

5. What was the worst and then the best parenting adivce you've got?

Frequent scribe
JenniferS

girl, 15.5, boy 11.5

they are inherently positive & happy, they see the good in the world & in people, they are sharing & considerate . . . and have waaaaay better people skills than me, i take lessons from them!

this came across my fb newsfeed and am always keen to check out any parenting support, provided it is about the kids first & foremost

nothing special, sorry, am too straight up to bother with pseudonyms

riding my road bike, long distances, hills, you name it, takes me away to another space Smiley Happy

kids do the best they can, apologise to them when you make mistakes, model the behaviour you want them to emulate (ha, easier said than done!)

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Hey @JenniferS, a very big welcome to you! I love your approach to parenting - your pride in them and how you aim to role model what you want to see and apologise when you make mistakes. Love that...

Hope to keep seeing you around, would love to hear your thoughts on how this mum can build  self-confidence in her daughter

Contributor
Sophie-RO

A very big welcome to our newest members @nellyblye, @pepperpuppy @Godelieve @WornOutMum - please feel free to introduce yourself by answering the Qs below or just say HI!