Need help now?

New member? Introduce yourself here!

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Contributor
Sophie-RO

Well we're all new at this point! Smiley Happy Remember to keep yourself anonymous, but tell us a bit about yourself!

To get started you can introduce yourself by telling us:

1. How old are your kids and what is one thing they've done recently that made you laugh?
2. Parenting can be really stressful - how do you try to keep those stress levels down?
3. What led you to ReachOut Parents today?
4. Whats your top tip for parents whose kids are about to enter teenage years?
5. Whats the best thing about weekends?

Let's go!

Active scribe
Jacew

Re: New member? Introduce yourslf here!

1. Found out about Reach Out by researching on line. Trying to find help for my own issues.
2. Most proud of my children for being individuals.
3. Training and fund raising.
4.Shared this with the group before but worth sharing " don't tell your children that the best years of their life is when their at school" not everyone has a good time at school.
Super frequent scribe
tenacious_dad

Hello ReachOut Community!

1. I first found out about ReachOut through facebook and then through the seeder community.
  2. I am most proud of my kids (boys 15, 16 & girl 9) for their kindness and the unconditional love they show me.
  3. TV... love my shows! 
  4. Worst: financial!  Best: "We will get through this together"

BTW I am extremely chuffed to be here at the start of something really special. Even during the mod training it was obvious that everyone involved wanted a positive uplifting community that would show parents that they are not alone even during times of crisis. 

Founding member
waldo_pepper

Hi, I found out about ReachOut from a close friend who is with the organisation.

I'm proud of my kids for ALMOST everything they do - I just love them and approve of most of their stuff.

I prefer to relax with a nice glass, or two, of wine, some good jazz and a good book. Unfortunately that's mostly "aspirational" as it rarely comes to pass.

In a broad brush sense, the worst parenting advice I ever got was "be firm, be consistent, don't ever change your mind" as if I am blessed with infinite wisdom. The best was "just give your kids unconditional love and we can work everything else out somehow".

I have two teens who have dabbled in self harm and yet survived it so far. I'd love to be there for other parents who have this awful experience. I never felt so alone as when I found out about their problems - like who can you talk to who understands? Well, we understand here!

Super frequent scribe
tenacious_dad

Hi there @waldo_pepper! Thanks for sharing your story, I definitely identify with it.  I too have experienced what it is like to have a teen that self harms. Smiley Sad I could not understand why they would do it, let alone find someone that understood how I felt. Like you said the feeling of being alone... it can be overwhelming. But it sounds like we are both heading in the right direction by talking to other parents with similar experiences!

Did you find that friends or family thought they were doing it for the attention or had some other misguided notion of what it meant?

Founding member
ziggystarmum

I found Reach Out through Facebook 

am proud of my kids 3 boys aged 17, 8 and 3 and 3 girls aged 15, 13 and 5 for just about everything they are and do, obviously they're not perfect all the time but I reckon they're awesome!

relaxing - hmmm wine is great, music is great, running with our 2 dogs is too, oh and date night😄

worst parenting advice would be to adhere to strict routines, best was to trust my instincts.

Contributor
readthemanual

Hi, I found out about ReachOut through work. I am very proud of my daughter for what she is, better than me already.

I sleep and relax.

Every one can be a mother, yes and no: we need to follow our instinct yet we really need to read the manual. Hence my nickname.

New member? Introduce yourself here by answering our 5 question Q&A!
Contributor
Mitzi

Hello everyone

1. How did you find out about ReachOut? Saw an article in Exploring Teens asking for people to join a new FB group

2. What are you most proud of your kids for?

Just the one 16-y-o son (I was a late bloomer!) So proud of his compassion, courtesy and good humour.

3. What's your number one way to relax? I love to watch movies or go for a walk. Sports crazy - is there an Aussie in it? I'll warch it then. 

4. What was the worst and then the best parenting adivce you've got? Worst was from the GP who told me at 41 I was too old to be a parent. (Bite me!!!) Best was: sleep when they sleep - the vacuuming can wait. 

Contributor
Mitzi

Hi @waldo_pepper, nice to read your story.
Contributor
Mitzi

Ha! I like that @readthemanual, I'm very much a "Read the Manual" first - but then adapt or ignore as necessary.