Need help now?

To what extent do parents encourage traditional gender roles in children?

Discussion forum for parents in Australia

Highlighted
Scribe
lovelydreamer77

As part of an educational study I am examining the influence of society on gender roles in children. Part of this study requires investigating the roles parents play in encouraging gender roles.

For all parents on this website do you think you are following traditional gender roles regarding your children? This includes clothing, books and toys. Do you dress boys in greens, blues and greys and girls in pinks, yellows and purples? Do you give your daughters dolls and beads and your boys trucks and action figures?

To what extent do you think you are following the traditional values of boys being masculine and girls being feminine? Can you please give examples

Super contributor
Ngaio-RO

Re: To what extent do parents encourage traditional gender roles in children?

Hi @lovelydreamer77 Welcome to Reach Out

We always try and support projects like these, as best we can. Usually we ask people to email us first so we can make sure everything is above board.

As you're just asking for people's opinions rather than directing them to an offsite location I don't think we need to worry about that this time.

Did you know that the demographic of ReachOut Parents is parents or carers of 12 - 18 year olds. I'm sure some, like myself, have younger children as well, but the focus here is our teenagers. Also, safety and privacy is paramount here and we don't share any personally identifiable info, so you won't be able to contact anyone outside of this space? Does that affect what you need to do?

Finally, can I ask what you'll be doing with people's answers?

Thanks heaps. Robot Very Happy